Sunday, January 17, 2010

Breathe, Mom, and read.

I'm buying another horse this week.

Breathe Mom!

It's not for me. I am putting the down payment on Mona for Anne-Marie. Leeandra is selling a number of her horses, and Mona the Friesian is going for a steal, especially considering that in this soft horse market they've kept a bit of value.

It's been a rollercoaster ride, with her being sold, no, sold, no, and so on, and it's been really wearing on Anne. This is the horse that Anne turned to when she was going through chemo, in front of whose stall she'd sit for hours, too weak to do anything else, as Mona would lower her head to her and just hold it beside her. With chemo done, Anne was Mona's first rider when she was saddle started. She was also the only person that Mona would behave for back when she was a little bitch. Under saddle, she behaves for no one else like she behaves for Anne-Marie, often to Leeandra's chagrin.  Many of Anne's decisions lately have been made with this horse in mind.

I will be paid back - of this I have no doubt. I am simply paying forward what was done for me with Peanut, really. I could not come up with Peanut's purchase price in time, so my mother wrote the check for him and I paid her back as soon as the loan came through. Without that, I would not have my Nutterbear. Without this, Anne would possibly not be able to get Mona in time.

Mona is currently in foal to Eddie, who was Leeandra's andalusian stallion. She bred him to her andalusian mare and Mona, then castrated him this past fall. Unfortunately, he passed away in December from colic, so their foaling will be bittersweet. But, anyway, Anne will take full "custody" of Mona only after the weaning, in about a year or so.

So, for a very short time, I guess this will technically be my horse:




Oddly, I've done a bit of art of this horse (ok, two pieces) - one in white conte on black paper, the other is the Breyer customization:




12 comments:

Lisa said...

WOOHOO!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm am so THRILLED to read this! I knew Lee was selling some horses, but missed the "memo" that Eddie had died!! I would have loved to buy Lori, but couldn't afford two horses, and I'd live in my car and shower in cold water in a wash stall before I'd ever sell Daniel. I know AnneMarie's LOVES Mona like I love Daniel and you love Nutters and was working to someday buy her. OH MY GOD You've done such an incredible thing for her!!! I'm so glad that the other possible sale fell through and you are doing this INCREDIBLE thing for AnneMarie!!!! Sara, I'm at a loss. I always knew you were a wonderful person, but doing this for AnneMarie,I'm speechless!!!

Sara said...

Thank you. The nice thing is that Anne was being completely realistic about this and never asked me. She has given me every out possible, as well. I've been afraid to mention anything here because, well, my mother reads this blog. Hi Mom.

Actually, two sales on Mona had fallen through this month. Lori is sold, Abby is sold, and this week Mona will be sold to someone who will be endlessly devoted to her. :)

I really don't know much about Eddie, other than he colicked, went to an equine hospital, went through at least one surgery, and still didn't make it - all right before the holidays. :(

I feel the same way about selling my guys. Gene is a no-brainer - a heavily arthritic coming 23 year-old with shoddy vision? There is no way that we would consider selling him. And Peanut? It would just eat me up inside. Nah, it would be car living and cold showers. :)

Lisa said...

I'm sure AnneMarie is relieved beyond belief!!! I read a few of her facebook posts and it killed me that Mona might go to someone other than her. Those other sales fell through for a reason - Mona was meant to be Anne's horse. We need some good vibes down Lee's way. I feel horrible for her with all the things that just have NOT been going her way the last few months.

Funder said...

Congrats! What a wonderful thing you're doing! :D

How's this going to work? Is Mona staying at Leeandra's place til she foals? Who pays for the feed? I'm not trying to be rude; I've just always been curious about mare-in-foal arrangements and now I have the chance to ask!

Sara said...

:D

As far as I know, this is how it will work out:

Anne will start paying board for Mona, and will keep her where she is for her pregnancy/foaling/pre-weaning. All expenses regarding the foal are not her responsibility, everything else is.

Lisa said...

Sara, all I can say is that you totally, absolutely, ROCK! :-)

Anne-Marie said...

I am forever grateful to Sara. I do not like borrowing money and have been VERY reluctant to do so. As Sara has said I have given her many outs. I do not want to jeopardize our friendship for a horse. Sara is a wonderful person with a big heart. Sara introduced me to Legacy and Leeandra and Mona. Mona, Sara and Richard (the Horse Express), and Legacy had all played a BIG part in my battle with breast cancer. Recently Mona was suppose to be sold a few times and it seemed that fate has it that she is supposed to be mine. Who am I to stand in the way of fate? So, I humbly accepted Sara's persistent offer. Love You Sara! BIG Hugs!! (I know, you are cringing, hehe)

Sara said...

NO HUGGING WINTERTHUR!

You didn't borrow money from me. :P

I am simply part owner of Mona until you decide to buy me out. :D

I just can't wait to see them spending this spring going silly in Fair Hill. Yep, she's coming out for a few months after all if all goes well. Finally we'll all be able to ride together on our own horses! And you and Rick will tower over lil' ol' me and Peanut.

...couldn't you have gotten a short little Arabian so we could see eye-to-eye? ;)

Anne-Marie said...

HUG HUG!! hehe

Shhh we won't tell Peanut you own another horse. And oh my - a Mare! LMAO

I have an email out to Leeandra about the long trailer ride and the logistics of moving her. If it does happen, not sure of the length of stay. Weeks vs months.

I can't wait to see the faces of people cooing over Mona and I can say My Horse : )

(bowing to Sara)
Life is going to be great!

And picture this: if Cheyenne is still there, Gene/Richard, Peanut/Sara, Mona/Andy and Cheyenne/Me.

Lisa said...

Can I come too??? I'm car shopping right now, and definitely getting a full size SUV again (I had a Tahoe before my mother talked me into that stupid Mercedes that I am so unimpressed by). I've mentioned to a few people that I might be in the market for an extra-tall, extra-wide bumper-pull trailer that's used but in good shape :-)

Anne-Marie said...

That would be so awesome cool if you could ride with us Lisa!!

YAY!!

Sara said...

Definitely! And pick up Dawn on the way down. :D