Something has changed, and I'm not sure what it is, but my riding is different. I am suddenly so much more secure in the saddle - I really feel like I'm an extension of Peanut and vice-versa. Without thinking of it, my lower body is following his body effortlessly, no matter what he does. My back isn't a mess of tension. He can speed up, slow down, change his gaits, and it's fine. I flow with him. HUGE difference.
So, what's different?
I'm still exercising. Still using that trampoline to work my legs, hips, and core.
I finally found my half chaps and am wearing them again.
The Fhoenix has been modified.
I took from my lesson to just RELAX when Peanut gives me what I want.
And suddenly, we are a team. I'm chuffed.
In the first ride post-lesson, Peanut was not a happy horse. Something was up in the rear that wasn't like the normal stifle issue. It could have been soreness in the foot, it could have been his tendon (looking at the sheath later made it seem that it was swollen, but he has chronic puffy rear tendon sheaths so who knows), it could have been anything. He was happier on grass than pavement/rocks/packed trail. Still, I noticed the change in riding that I described above, so I still consider it to be a successful ride.
Anne rode Peanut for me several times last week to keep his fat ass moving, and she kept it easy and on the grass. Soon, he was back to normal.
Plus, suddenly Anne doesn't despise my saddle and found Peanut to be a much more responsive horse who is no longer "boring" to ride. He would still be a suitable mount at 80, but I take that as a compliment. : P
I rode again on Saturday, and we had a glorious ride that was only marred by the heat and endless flies (and the refusal to go on around the evil goats - Anne had to lead us through as it was a very bad place for him to dance around). I think Peanut appreciates the new relaxation philosophy, especially as he gets a pretty loose rein in the bargain. Also, he was ok when Gene trotted off and disappeared around a corner. Yes, he got nervous. Yes, he started to gait. However, he slowed when asked, and when I kept relaxing at a walk he finally stuck there. Gene actually stopped and turned around on trail to see what was up with Peanut.
Early this week, I found Peanut's lower jaw right behind his chin swollen. I didn't know what might have caused it as I could find no wound, it wasn't hard or soft, and he didn't react to it being prodded. There was also nothing wrong that I could see with his teeth or gums. When I visited again last night, it was back to normal and I breathed a sigh of relief.
Because the flies are so horrid, I tried yet again to fly mask him. This time, I got warmblood size and he had plenty of room around his eyes. Still rubbed them. Sigh.
1 comment:
Oh, I love the new template!
Glad things are working well for you all of a sudden. It's wonderful and amazing when things all come together. :)
Post a Comment