What a lovely week as Nature sheepishly tries to apologize for the lousy weekend. The weather has been gorgeous, although I would prefer it about 10-15 degrees cooler. Still, it's easily tolerable.
Yesterday Peanut and I did a clicker session, working on him standing still for saddling. There were many distractions from Gene being saddled and ridden off to a dog being washed to a conversation that I was having, but he did well. At first, he was being evasive, and it took a while to get to the point where I could saunter up and just touch his side with the saddle, click, and reward. After that, it went fast forward as he seemed to understand.
After I put the saddle on and off several times with him tied at the barn where he can't really escape, we moved to the same tie where we had the saddle tossing episode last week. Again, he tried to evade me. Soon he stood still and understood, and once again the saddle went on, the saddle went off, and he stood with the saddle on him for a while all without a fuss. He got about 4 carrots worth of carrot coins with some cookies thrown in as jackpots. :)
I really need to clean the saddle pad. It's a little (ok, a lot) stiff right now, and I wonder if it's hard and itchy and thus Grumps a Nut. It's a Fleeceworks wool pad which they no longer make. The closest I can find now is Skido which is more than twice the cost, and finding a wool pad with a wither shape is impossible otherwise. I really don't want a sheepskin pad for vegetarian reasons to go under my non-vegetarian leather saddle. Such a hypocrite.
If I had a replacement I'd strip it off, take it home, and give it a scrubbin'. Guess I need to keep looking......
1 comment:
Hey, if you'd be interested in a used fleece pad I'd be happy to send you the Woolback to try. It's wool-fleece, not leather-fleece, and any naked sheep bad karma should have already attached to me. It's gonna be yet another dog bed here, so I'd love for it to get a second chance at horse life if you think it might work.
Post a Comment