Friday, December 2, 2011

Peanut is famous again

Here he is, all clickery.

In other news, I've been mulling over all of the positive feedback that I've been getting regarding rides which I think are total disasters, and I think it's starting to seep in.

I now know that Peanut can be upset and be controllable.  He will try to listen even though his prey instincts are fired up.  He is a very good horse.

It is ok to get off when a situation gets hairy, and remount when conditions improve.  Safety is more important than looking like a wuss who can't ride.  But, at the same time, trying to ride it out most likely will not kill me or the Nut.

I need to learn to be the alpha mare and stay the alpha mare.  Taking deep breaths makes Peanut noticeably settle down, which means that I need to remember to keep checking in on myself.

We are ok.  I have a good horse and I'm a decent enough rider.

In other other news.... the oats that we buy come in 40 lb bags.  I have now lost 40 lbs.  I have lost a bag of oats.  :)

2 comments:

Funder said...

Congrats on your bag of oats! I really wanted to lose a bag of grain, but I stalled out pretty hard at a bag of oats - it's been at least six months since I lost any more weight, so I guess that's where I am for now. :) It's still an awesome feeling isn't it?

You're a good rider and he's a good horse and yall are both trying to be brave. :)

Kate P said...

Nice photo! I was gonna say that jacket looked kinda big on you, Skeenny. And yes, Peanut's a very good horse. Please be sure to tell him that for me.