Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pics and bits

Not that kind of bit, more like bits-n-pieces.

So much has happened.  Some highlights followed by some pictures:

Boot woes and revelations:

I was briefly horrified by the fact that Peanut's boot, his right front, started rotating horribly as we rode.  The front of the boot would line up with his outside quarter, and the back was horribly deformed as it tried to fit around his foot.  The first time I thought it was due to a spook where he pivoted on that foot, but in a later ride I noticed it, dismounted, straightened and tightened it, remounted, found it twisted again, straightened it again, and walked until it was found to be twisted again.  I then took them off, attached them to his stirrups, and walked out.

I was hoping beyond hope that this was due to the fact that his feet have returned to weed mode and they had grown a good deal.  Not only that, but his breakover was worn, leaving a square-ish toe.  I was hoping that the front of the boot was merely trying to find the longest part of the foot and rotated to the outside, so I decided to cease worrying until after the trim the next weekend.

The trim came, I discussed things with Kate, and afterwards walked Peanut out on a hike to try out the boots.  They didn't budge!  Lesson learned.  I've since taken a solo ride much longer than what it took to spin the boot originally, and it was just fine.  Peanut is awesome in that he'll tolerate me leaning way forward and peering in front of his chest to see his boots without dismounting.

Trims are now moved up from 5 to 4 weeks.  Their feet are just growing like mad.

Peanut and Gene:

I think that Gene has a calming influence on Peanut.  When Gene accompanies us on trails, Peanut is far more chill than when we are alone or with any other horse.  I have noticed that if Rick takes Gene out the side gate and we go on to the front gate of their field, Peanut will watch Gene, tense as he walks away, start worrying, and sometimes will whinny to him.  As much as he's a disagreeable bully to other horses, I think there definitely is a connection between those two... at least in one direction.

Nonetheless, in my last solo ride, once Peanut settled in he was a very good boy.  He balked at some early turns, but after a bit he was agreeable and had impulsion.  We did some speed and I asked him to stay in the gait (whichever one he does) instead of slipping to the canter, and he did a very good job.  Usually it's straight to the canter, but he listened.  Good boy.

The people stink might just be an itch:

Without fail, after a ride, Peanut will soon roll.  I would comment that he was trying to get the people stink off of him, but I think that I have been proven wrong.  Last time I rode, after removing the saddle, I massaged and scratched the saddle area.  No rolling afterwards, and many happy faces during.  Hmmm.  Today I scratched his saddle area (again with many happy faces) after removing the saddle, and even after a spritz to get off the sweat from the saddle and girth he still didn't roll.  Hmmmm.

I guess I just found another task to add to grooming.

Happy birthday baby:

Peanut turned 12 yesterday.  He got a bunch of Gene's cookies (that are much larger and have more molasses than his cookies) as a birthday treat.  He also didn't even have to leave his field.

Good ponies:

My cousin and her family visited today, and she and her two young daughters got pony rides.  Both horses did very well, although Peanut had a moment while carrying the oldest daughter where I could feel him getting nervous.  Even though I had him on the lead and she had reins attached to his halter, I didn't want him to spook and spin around me and most likely dump the young'in.  We walked back up to where Gene was, and with his influence we were able to complete a lap of the barn.

They were both very good, and took very good care of their charges.

Pics!


Peanut reaching to me and being generally cute.

Boop on the nose.

Coming back from the post-trim hike with boots still centered.  And there was much rejoicing!

He will beg on the way to the barn by offering his Spanish Walk.  Pig.

Spanish Walking on cue.

Still walking with a Spanish accent.

Richard upon seeing this frame: "How nice, the little Jewish girl teaches her horse to goosestep!"

Gene the good pony.  I didn't get a good picture of the older sister on Peanut, unfortunately.

And a random Mona, just 'cause.

3 comments:

Kate P said...

Look at all those beautiful horses. And people!

Happy Birthday, Peanut!!! Wishing you a year full of good scratching.

Funder said...

AHAHAH, I am dyin at the goosestep comment. Happy Birthday, beautiful Nut!

Sara said...

Thanks all. Peanut will take all birthday wishes in the form of cookies, tyvm. Have I mentioned that he is a pig?