Last Monday (my how time flies), Kate and I took advantage of a school holiday and a bank holiday to visit my favorite livestock. We took Peanut and Gene for a walk in the park and had a general horse-therapy day as Kate learned the finer aspects of horsie care like how to pick a hoof.
While hiking, I led Gene for most of the time. Peanut is most like a large, doofy dog and is a friendlier horse to start with when learning to lead (as long as you don't mind being slobbered on). I had never taken Gene for a stroll before, so I got to have some quality time with my red-headed stepson.
I had always thought that he was a grumpy old man, full of appy-tude, who barely disguised his general disgust with bipeds unless they were shoving cookies or grass in his face. In fact, I now think he's mainly just serious.
When walking, he was WALKING.
When grazing, he was GRAZING.
Hiking. Serious business.
If asked to do something else, he seemed to take a moment to think about it, and then changed into another serious mode. When asked to halt and wait (as he was trucking along and Peanut was strolling), you could feel him thinking: "but we were WALKING." He wanted to get back to the task at hand and not wait around for the Roly Poly Pony.
So, is that his personality? When asked to do something, does he think, "if we're going to do this, we're going to DO this!" Well, that is if he agrees to go along with your desire to do something because he was BUSY doing something else beforehand.
Maybe I had mistaken his dedication and serious nature for grumpiness. *shrug*
In other news, during our trim yesterday Kate (other Kate) looked at Peanut's weight (after declaring the tubbiness of Mona), and said he's "not bad." She could feel ribs, his fat pads were there but not too bad, and his most horrible feature (beer gut) seems to be, to her, nothing more than a hay belly. Now he's no supermodel, but he's not as bad as I've thought.
He's still a pig.
Peanut Von Oink Oink
1 comment:
Gene is a trucker for sure. And Peanut is just right to me--but maybe that's because he was smooching me a lot. :)
I have to get those pretty pony photos uploaded.
Post a Comment