Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Bird Nerd

I just got back from a very long (for me) vacation.

Before I go into details, I went through our pics and tried IDing the birds that we shot... photographically, that is.  I'm not promising that these are accurate, but here we go (and in no particular order thanks to Blogger).  Also listed is the location of the photograph.

Oh, and I didn't bother IDing seagulls.  After they plastered my car with poo on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, I wasn't about to give them the satisfaction.


Anhinga - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Black Throated Blue Warbler - Jamaica (Good Hope Plantation)
American White Ibis (ignore the Snowy Egret) - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Blue Winged Teal - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Boat Tailed Grackle, male - Florida (Kennedy Space Center)


Boat Tailed Grackle, female - Florida (Kennedy Space Center)

Brown Pelican, juvenile and adult - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Brown Pelican - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Common Loon - Virginia (Fisherman Island National Wildlife Refuge)


Double Crested Cormorant, juvenile - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)


American White Pelican - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife refuge)

Eastern Phoebe (I think...) - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Magnificent Frigatebird, juvenile - Jamaica

Great Blue Heron - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)


Great Egret - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Great Egret - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)
Great Egret - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Some sort of Sandpiper-y thing.  Perhaps a Greater Yellowlegs?  Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Lesser Crested Tern - Bahamas (Little Stirrup Cay)

Northern Gannet - Virginia (Fisherman Island National Wildlife Refuge)

Lesser Scaup, female - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Lesser Scaup, male - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Northern Shoveler, male and female - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Northern Shoveler - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Pied-Billed Grebe - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Roseate Spoonbill - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Roseate Spoonbill - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Roseate Spoonbills - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Roseate Spoonbill - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Red-Billed Streamertail Hummingbird - Jamaica (Good Hope Plantation)

Sanderling (I think...) - Virginia (Fisherman Island National Wildlife Refuge)

Ruddy Turnstone - Bahamas (Little Stirrup Cay)

Ruddy Turnstone - Grand Cayman Island (Cayman Turtle Farm)

Snowy Egrets - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Tricolor Heron - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Tricolor Heron - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Tricolor Heron - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Sandhill Cranes - Florida (Omni Orlando Resort)
The cranes were very far away at the side of the golf course.  I saw them fly in one early morning from the balcony of my room, grabbed the binoculars, ID'd them, then promptly starting spazzing and hoping to get a picture.  For, alas, I had never seen a crane in person.

We stumbled upon an amazing group of birds at the Merritt Island refuge, consisting of a number of different species all clustered together,
















We also have a thing for getting pictures of birds while flying....

American White Ibis, juvenlie - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)


Brown Pelican - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)


Anhinga - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Anhinga - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Double Crested Cormorant - Florida (Ft. Lauderdale)

Seagull - Virginia (Fisherman Island National Wildlife Refuge)

Snowy Egret - Florida (Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge)

Lesser Crested Tern - Bahamas (Little Stirrup Cay)

1 comment:

Kate P said...

These are great! That's a ton of birds you saw--and those flight ones are especially cool.