Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Completely NHR - other hobbies

Long story short, I had a pretty lousy weekend that was accentuated by my starting to fall down into my mental, emotional pit.

Then on Monday, at what was probably my 6th archery lesson, I did this from 10 meters and all was good.

I shoot 4 arrows before gathering them and starting again, and this was my last group.
That was my best group yet.  I have hit the cross in the middle of the bulls-eye before, but the group is what matters.  A tight group is consistency, and that is what I am currently striving for.  That and the feel... the feel of a good shot.  I felt it for that last group, and I'm still on a high almost 24 hours later.

I am also working on the counterpart for my Athena piece.  It's a lot more nerve-wracking to draw out of putzing mode and instead in obligation mode, but I think he's coming together.  Plus, in my research I've discovered two sculptors whose work I absolutely adore.  My favorite artist is Gianlorenzo Bernini, but now I'm not so sure.  Win.

Here's where he currently stands.  This is Jason (as in the Argonauts and the Golden Fleece):

The brush in his helmet is totally business in the front, party in the back!

2 comments:

Funder said...

Archery is so cool! We actually rode through an (empty!) archery range at Gold Rush, and I thought about you - I am a dirty cheater who reads posts and thinks "Oh I'll just go comment later."

Love your Jason. You're wonderfully talented; hope you're enjoying your creations!

Sara said...

I'm the same kind of dirty cheater, no worries.

And aww, you thought of me shooting poor, innocent targets. :D

And thank you!