Thursday, February 5, 2009

For Funder

Here's Leeandra's response to my question about a dressage barn/trainer in the Columbus area. Maybe it's a start?

Look up Christie Woida. http://www.myspace.com/friesiandressage She's Joe Myers daughter, a very nice person, and a good rider. She doesn't know much high level dressage, though she has worked with many, many international clinicians. But if nothing else, she's a good kid who rides well, does low level teaching and training, and is very empathetic to horses.

6 comments:

Funder said...

Lancaster's not too far away! And her myspace didn't crash my browser, so I'll definitely get in touch with her when we get up there.

(I hate myspace, people almost always put in little twinkling flying fairies in the background and scrolling pictures everywhere and blinky glitter text and little weight-loss/pregnancy tickers and that crap always locks up my browser!)

Sara said...

I have never been to myspace, and I never plan on going. I'm an old fogey.

Never been to facebook either.

In my day, it was livejournal, dammit! (And, yes, there's an old one of mine getting moldy somewhere in cyberspace).

Well... in my real day it was AOL chatrooms because trying to go on the internet crashed my 2.4 kbps modem. *dusty cough*

Hopefully it works out, or she can at least point you in another direction! :)

Funder said...

"When I was a kid there was no internet! And cars drove around on round wheels on the ground, and we had to walk places! Get off my lawn, you horrible kids!"

I started with a 2400 baud modem too, but there weren't any local numbers for AOL or ... god, what was that other early isp? Earthlink? I met all my nerdy teenager friends on local BBS's. When I got a 14.4 modem, I was set for life - text scrolling at 28.8 was too fast to read, so who needed that?

Girl, we are old nerds.

Oh, and I like your little blogger icon thing. Elizabeth I?

Sara said...

I remember that I bought a 28.8 modem with my tax return one year when I was in college. It cost something like $250 and I was stylin! Psh, 14.4 was for LOSERS!

Do you remember what Apple's very very shortlived online community was called? I think that I remember that it had a little map and you clicked where you wanted to go. That eventually went belly-up and we got AOL - back in the days when they charged by the hour.

Please, the real old nerds would bap us with punch cards. ;)

It is Elizabeth I. I'm giddy for the Tudor monarchs, especially Elizabeth and Mary. I actually got a nerd glow when you said you used to be called Bess, just like Good Queen Bess here.

Funder said...

No way, Apples were just plain weird. My first computer was a Tandy, can't remember the model number but it was a 286 DX-25. It had Windows 3.1 with that super-spiffy Norton Commander program, and somehow (warez I suppose?) I had Telix to dial out.

I like quite a bit of English history. Mary and Elizabeth must've had an unbelievably bizarre childhood. Mary fell apart early, but Elizabeth was just a truly phenomenal ruler. My favorite period is just a bit later, the Stuarts and the Commonwealth. So much cool stuff was happening then!

Sara said...

My first computer that I remember well was the good ol' Apple IIc. It had a COLOR monitor. Wow.

I knew someone with a Tandy, and I couldn't fathom that you could actually save a program into the computer itself and not have to insert a floppy every time you ran something.

I wouldn't know the Stuarts if I ran over them with a coronation carriage. In my mind it's Plantagenets, Tudors, stuff happens that is in Blackadder III and the colonies are bungled, Windsors.

I know that the real Prince Regent (when not played by Hugh Laurie) was a... well... not too well loved, but I don't even know what period he belongs in.

I should read more and stop being so vastly ignorant, but I keep getting sucked back into Tudor times.

The thing that gets me about Mary is what it must have been like between the dissolution of her parents' marriage and her crowning. Hell, I probably would have turned Bloody too after decades of that.

You're making me want to get more Alison Weir books.