Thursday, February 26, 2009

More Gene hoof pics

I'm still working on resizing pics of hooves for Dawn, and the following set caught my eye. Here's Gene's deformed hoof (left rear) very early on in Dawn's care (winter '07) versus last fall. This is the size Dawn requested.







4 comments:

Funder said...

Wow. Just wow. That's an amazing testament to her trimming ability.

Sara said...

The funny thing is Dawn's take on this foot. She had no idea of how to approach it, so she just trimmed it like she'd trim any other foot, and look what happened! All it needed was to be trimmed in reference to the sole, while completely ignoring all of the strangeness going on above the ground.

Dawn herself was amazed to see the immediate results when the straight wall started to immediately grow down from the coronary and his hitch left his trot.

She's very proud of the progress of that foot, and this is the big reason why we're so loyal to her. I don't even know how many farriers saw him after his accident, all I know is that his foot was like that (but not so bad) when we got him. Then the half-year with the incompetent traditional farrier pushed that foot over the edge and Dawn fixed it. Dawn effortlessly did what countless couldn't, and she's probably newer to trimming than all of them by a long shot.

I love my trimmer and she isn't allowed to retire!

Funder said...

Did you see WHP's picture of a typical English hoof? ARRRRRGH!

Oxfordshire feet

Sara said...

I really don't like either feet in that link, unless the barefoot horse is a pony it seems that the heels are rather long. I'd like to see some of the solar view, though.

Did you see the far hoof on the shod horse? There's a serious ring on that foot (or else a bit of mud). I wonder what's up with that.

I know that "typical" TWH feet are a breed apart, but the shod hoof actually looks better than a lot of TB feet that I've seen. At least the toe isn't allowed to be so very, very long. Still looks painful, though.

I should get some pics of the old TWH's feet at my barn. Everytime I see them I cringe. They're so long and the toes are at an incomprehensible angle.

In fact, a lot of horses there have bad feet - contracted heels, long hoof capsules, and the foot above the hoof looks so squished. I think at least one Arab would trump that English foot.

Even the Breyer model that I got for Peanut has shitty feet. The model horse's heels are goddamn contracted. WTF?