Monday, March 9, 2009

Peanut Breyer, part 1

I have finally opened the box containing the model that I want to turn into Peanut, and I have my work cut out for me.

The face is crooked. It's bloody crooked! It curves to the left. Grand. I'll probably burn myself while straightening it.

I also don't like the way that the eyes were done. I don't know exactly what's bugging the crap out of me regarding them, but now that I can get a good look they seem bug-eyed, naked, and vacant, but maybe that's the look that they're looking for in a competition TW? *roll eyes* Peanut's eyes are sweet and soft (when he's not looking at another horse), so I have to figure out what needs to be done there. Too bad the epoxy is so difficult to model. I miss real clay.

I'd love to be able to add his golden eyelashes, but I don't know how to do so convincingly. I think the revamp around the eyes is going to be difficult enough.

The mouth is also an issue. The nostrils are huge (show TW again, I assume), the mouth is long, and the sculpt of the mouth/lips themselves is tight. Peanut has a small mouth (because I don't use a bit, perhaps? I always wondered about that), and I'll need to soften the mouth entirely.

I wasn't so intimately acquainted with Mona's face as I am with Peanut, plus the andalusian didn't carry such a terrible expression, thus the face wasn't much of an issue. It's definitely an issue here.

Other than those new-found obstacles, I will have to:
  • Fatten fatten fatten! Peanut is... well... rubenesque.
  • Remove muscle details, just like on Mona. Hopefully I will be able to make it smoother than I did Mona.
  • The feet... my god the feet! Pre-shod, pre-contracted, long capsules. Yay TWHs!
  • I should fiddle with the tail. Completely opposite of the andalusian, whose tail was a hollow v, this horse has hair growing from the bottom of the dock. While friesians actually do that, Peanut certainly does not so I'll have to shave the dock.
  • The forelock bugs me. I might reshapen it a bit and add a little going back on the other side of the head.
  • Oh, yeah, the whole mare into a gelding thing.
  • I'll have to add long fetlocks. They're so cute on Peanut.

I have my work cut out for me, and that's not even the paint job. I'm sure the dapples will drive me to some level of insanity.

I haven't had much to say about the real Peanut in a while. I had a very sweet day with him yesterday where we just groomed and hung out. It was somewhere around 70 and there were still bits of snow here and there, very interesting.

At one point I was sitting on the grass, chatting to Anne-Marie, as the horses grazed around us. From my vantage point I could see what I thought was a spider on Peanut's ankle. No, not a spider, a tick. The first tick of the season! I then spent the rest of the time pulling them off of him as there were suddenly a few of them crawling about his fur in his fetlocks and under his jaw. They were plucked off with a curt cry of "get of my damn horse!" I couldn't find any that had actually bitten him, and Chey seemed to have none at all.

During the drive home I pulled one off of my neck. The bite itches.

Ah well. Emma is on the TV and I'm about to finish our taxes. I have today off as I managed Saturday. Yay!

Edit: Wow, what a shitty website. Here's a thought, Turbo Tax, it might be nice to have a little extra bandwidth during tax season or else don't clutter your pages with over 90 items that need to painstakingly, slowly load. I'm glad that I could highlight the page to find the button to move to the next without waiting for the whole damn thing to load.

They're lucky I'm lazy and use their service, but fuck me if I'll ever pay them for the federal return.

4 comments:

Funder said...

Are you going to make a Sweet Peanut or an Evil Peanut? If you do a Gene, you should totally do an Evil Peanut glaring at pitiful Gene. ;)

If I ever Breyer'd Dixie, she'd totally have her ears pinned. Cause she spends about 90% of her time glaring at other horses.

I think you're right about the eyelashes. Maybe try painting them on at the very end? But there's no way to sculpt them without him looking like an anime horse.

I hope you take lots of pictures!

Sara said...

I'm making a sweet Peanut, the Peanut I know. Well, the Peanut I know is a puppy, so I'm making the canine Peanut.

I had one of the other boarders spontaneously comment that he's a giant golden retriever. Yep, I've been saying he's a huge golden lab for a while now.

Too bad Breyer doesn't make an evil horse! It would make life so much easier for evil redos!

As for painting the lashes, since they go almost straight down I'd be painting on his eyeball and I'm afraid that it would look like he has a disease. I think I might try making some out of epoxy, though, since so many people comment on his eyelashes that they must be striking.

And I do plan to take pictures. Probably crappy ones just like the other since who likes to waste time taking pictures? :)

Funder said...

Hmm. Have you thought about fake hair? I - agh don't tell anybody this - I was looking at My Little Pony customs one night and that led to looking at other kinds of toy customizations and I know you can get all kinds of fake hair in all colors.

I know what you mean. Poppy is a GIANT Labrador. Always in your face just hanging out wanting some attention. "Hay guyz what's going on over heeereee?"

Sara said...

My Little Pony customs?! Why Funder... ;)

I know that some Breyer customizers use mohair to replicate manes and tails, but eyelashes? I can't image trying to secure something that small. Maybe the eyes will look better once they have some, um, life to them. I don't think that they have any eyelids to speak of as it is, which is why they look so horrible.

Still, all that's being done right now is that the model looks at me on my desk, freaking me out with its horrible, dead stare.