Sunday, November 1, 2009

Saddles! ARGH!

It's rained 4 Saturdays in a row, and we've had to cancel lessons three times.  Yesterday, we just had saddle fittings since Denise is a saddle fit consultant and they can be done while hiding in the barn.  This was also the first time that she got to see Peanut's back, sans saddle.

This is Peanut's back:



We knew that Gene was a difficult horse to find a saddle to fit, and it turns out that Peanut is as well.  Grand!

Why?

I've said before that he is the shortest backed horse in the world.  He really is trying for this title.  He has all of 17" of back that can support a saddle.  17 measly, little, tiny inches.  Anything longer than that is putting weight on the weak area of his back (behind his rib attachment).  If I need a longer saddle than that (which... yeah...), then the tree must curve up and off of his back towards the rear.

Did you see that?  Tree.  Yes.  Tree.  What does my saddle not have?  Well, more on that later.

I also knew coming in that he would take a WIDE saddle.  It was confirmed that he definitely falls into draft widths.  Oh, and no A-treed saddle, tyvm, he requires a hoop tree.  A hoop tree.  A hoop tree!  Great, they're just so common and easy to find!  Coincidentally, a saddle fitter that Rick is corresponding with recently made a post comparing hoop to a-frame.  There are pictures of a horse's back there who needs a hoop tree.  Here is the same of Peanut:



The one in the post looks much flatter than Peanut, but it wouldn't hurt to try one on him.

And the Fhoenix?  It is the wrong saddle for Peanut.

At the beginning and during the first ride, we were probably both so used to what we had that it was a revelation.  I still love it, but it is too long for Peanut, it puts a lot of pressure at the back edge which would be ok if it wasn't too far back on him.  If it had a tree to pull the back edge up and off of his back, then that would be one thing.  But, it doesn't.  Denise is also suspicious of the low curve where his withers meet his back and whether the Fhoenix correctly adapts to it. 

Denise even pulled out her saddle, which fits her Amazingly Short Backed Horse, and it was too long for Peanut.

Afterwards, I pulled out the Cashel Soft Saddle, and she actually thinks that it is our best option right now.  It's not too long, and so we'd be better off riding in that right now.

I'm not quite sure what to think right now.  I need to do some more research.  I must say, with each saddle I've learned something new.  Hopefully with Denise's help the next saddle (if there is a next saddle) will be the last.

I have a lot to think about, and I have a 2-week business trip starting tomorrow to start thinking.

So, uh, Lisa.... when we come visit you and Daniel, wanna try out a Fhoenix?  ;)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, Sara I'm sorry! I know you loved that Fhoenix!!! My butt probably wouldn't fit in it (my saddle's a 19") And after your trip and when things settle down, I have to get you, Rick and Anne Marie up here! We can grab lunch after - there are some great little places around here!

Since Peanut's table-backed - have you looked at the Duetts? Leeandra recommended them for Daniel (they are supposed to be for table-backed horses). I LOVE mine and would buy it all over again...

Funder said...

Oh you poor thing! Not the great saddle fitting battle again!?

Anonymous said...

This is Sara - not logging in from the communal computer at the hotel.

Yes, the great saddle fitting battle again. :( And I think that this may be even more difficult than Gene. Ah well, at least Peanut is a grand hiking buddy!

Lisa - sounds good. I don't know if Peanut is technically table backed, or if he's just table shouldered... if you will. Dunno. Denise actually suggested the Fryso saddle - a Fresian saddle. More later, must run.

Meghan said...

I have a Fhoenix Standard which I have mixed feelings about. I think it works pretty well for my mare, but I recently had a chiropractor out, and she had some doubts about the saddle, so I have to make sure it's not bridging or pinching her shoulders (two things it is supposed to NOT do, according to the marketing propaganda) when I ride.

It is also not very supportive for the rider...I have heard the Vogue is better. What seat size is your Vogue?

Anonymous said...

Sara here again-

Meghan, this is going to sound dumb but I'm not entirely sure what size my Vogue is. I just loved it and bought it. I suppose it must be written on it somewhere, but I'm nowhere near it to look right now.

I normally take about a 17" seat, and the Vogue fits me just fine. Somewhere in my mind I think that it's really a 18", but I'm not sure at all. All I know is that it is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in and I have no issue with it from a rider's perspective. Sigh.

I ride with a suberpanel (I hate the included panels), and I don't think that there is a problem with the shoulders for my guy. I do worry about the lack of spine channel with the suberpanel, but my guy has no topline at all *cough cough* to help him out there.