Thursday, April 1, 2010

About 3 cats in one grooming

I got to the barn today to find that my guys were moved to the back field (temporarily while a new horse gets his bearings) and that Gene was looking sadly thin.  In talking to Joan, I learned that all the thoroughbreds (because, no matter what he looks like, he's more tb than any other breed) are in similar shape with Gene looking the best.  If he doesn't spring back in a couple of weeks, we will start graining him.  Next winter, he will most likely be grained as our first concession to his age.  I'll have to find more of the low-starch so that Dawn doesn't kill me.  ;)

Peanut is still a pudge.  A roly poly pony.  The arabians are in good flesh.  The other, non-tb apps all have big poofy butts.  The thoroughbreds are all a little ribby.

I got out of work early and had planned to groom Peanut up and then either ride or hike, but instead Gene met me at the gate, gave me the puppy eyes, and Peanut ignored me from the back of the field.  Granted, I didn't call him, instead I just snuck Gene out as quietly as possible after seeing the light play on his ribs.

Now don't get me wrong - he's not emaciated.  He still has fat deposits at his butt and his spine is well hidden when you look at him from behind.  I just wish that he was carrying a little more weight, but then again I'm used to looking at the Fatty McFatterson that is Peanut.

It was also close to 80 today, so I took him down to the barn and started working on his fur.  First I used my nails to brush him with the grain, which took off a ton of hair.  Then I metal curried him which took off a ton of hair.  Then I rubber curried him which took off a ton of hair.  Then I body brushed him which took off a ton of hair.  That's four tons of hair!

He looked sleek after I finished.  Well, his spots aren't as sleek - the white always sheds first but it's all going right now.  As I was finishing up Rick arrived, and we walked Gene out into Fair Hill to graze.

When we were done I headed back to the pasture ahead of Rick and Gene, and was met at the gate by a very sad/pathetic Peanut.  He got many cookies and I got drenched by his incessant licking.  This weekend he will have his date with the deshedding grooming.  I really should just get a furminator.

And, hey hey!  A Hoppy appointment has been made!!!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love my furminator! you're welcome to borrow it if you want to try it. Is Dawn due there any time soon? Maybe I can ask her to put it in her car for you? Let me know... I think I'm using on Daniel tomorrow.

Sara said...

Does it really make a difference? If it's that good I should probably pick one up for my grooming kit.

And we should make another date for us coming up to see you! Maybe a day when you and Dawn have lessons?