No boots!
Peanut's feet are as hard to fit for boots as his back is to fit for a saddle.
I really, really wanted to take my camera today, but of course forgot.
First, Dawn took off every trace of a flare as the Gloves are not forgiving and we didn't want to fit to flares. Once that was done, he seemed to comfortably fit in the size 2s (Dawn had a full range of sizes without gaiters as a fitting kit), so we put some 2s with gaiters on him and went for a ride.
Peanut went well, taking some difficult areas nicely. Not perfect, but better. Gene was a spooky mess after we met a mule (who was wearing Epics - EVERY horse we met on trails was either wearing Epics or Bares!!!) and so Dawn's ride wasn't the best, but Peanut's went well. He was fine while Gene was so worried. Dawn said that the thoroughbred came out today.
So, the boots were purchased, and I pulled them off. I found the very top layer of hoof wall at the back of each heel was gone from the height of the boot down. I mean gone - there was no trace of them inside the boot. His heel bulbs were very pink, as were various other areas where the gaiters were. The size 2.5 were too big, the size 2 fit, but Peanut's heels are just very... bulbous.
Sale cancelled.
Dawn left us with a used pair of Bares to play with, but I am very apprehensive. I think boots might just not work for Peanut.
Dawn said she had met one other horse that was impossible to fit for boots that could only successfully wear Gen 2 Old Macs, and that horse was gaited too! She's convinced that his boots spin to the outside due to his movement, but the Gloves seemed to do ok even though I gaited and cantered on trail. The other gaited horse destroyed the inside of boots with his movement and went through them quickly.
Ah well. :(
In good news, I refreshed Peanut's rolls on all of his feet last night, and before Dawn went to town on his flares she said I did a perfect job. :)
PS - today is my one year anniversary of Lasik!
4 comments:
There's always Renegades - mine have never rubbed Dixie's precious pink footsies. I completely understand if you want to totally write off trying boots - they're not cheap, especially Renegades.
Happy eyeball anniversary! Never forget! ;)
Dawn even mentioned Renegades, but since she's not a dealer for them I'd have to cross my fingers and order them. Considering that Peanut's feet and Dixie's feet are different, I wonder how his dumb heels would fit. :(
I'm wondering about whether I should try Hoofwings. They can be made custom....
I will try to remember to take better pics, if you want. The sides taper down to nothing at the back of the hoof, and then there's this heel captivator thing that fits loosely around the pastern and heel bulbs. It pivots with the horse's movement, and it fits very loosely. It's kind of magical how they stay on, but they DO stay on.
Pics would be fabulous!!!! Thank you! :D
I emailed Dawn about the Hoofwings. So much $$$$, but if they actually work....
Post a Comment