Tuesday, November 30, 2010

No endurance horse here! No sir!

Peanut is a pile of puddin'.

We rode on Sunday with Heather and Clue (who was 2 days out of shoes and will be seen by Kate this Sunday!), and did a slightly longer trail than usual.  I am really feeling good in the saddle.  We cantered on the little wooded trails, gaited, and I even had a blast on what the barn folk refer to as the "In and Out".  That is a piece of trail that very sharply drops down about 10' and then almost immediately rises back up - just as sharply.  I held Peanut back a little halfway down, then I let him go and we powered up the other side.  Whee!

At times I tried to let Peanut loose - both in the open and on trail.  He'd go a short distance and promptly halt with no warning to either me or the other horses.  Once, on a narrow wooded trail, we ended up with two horses piled up behind us.  When he did this, he would stop, stand, and breathe with enormous nostrils.  Usually, this was after a very short distance - maybe 20 feet?  Between that and 20 strides, perhaps.

Yeah, I don't think we'll be cleaning up in endurance any time soon.

It was a good ride overall.  Peanut continued his attempts to kill me by trying to take my knee off with a tree that left me with a good scrape through my unharmed jeans, but otherwise he was nice to me.

Oh - I ended up with a strained neck.  It was soon back to (relative) normal.  The doctor is more concerned about my finger, though, and if it doesn't stop hurting soon she thinks I should see a hand specialist.  I had it x-rayed, and that came back normal.

Gene is, literally, feeling his oats.  He is full of pep and would have been pleased to go on and on and on.  At one point, I was heading up a large, steep-ish hill and heard something.  I turned around and found Rick and Gene cantering up to us - Rick was trying to keep him from the gallop with all his might.  I don't know if it is the weather, the oats, or the Barn Bag, but Gene is one peppy camper.

In other, awesome news...

On Saturday I was walking Peanut to the barn and saw that a pile of trash had appeared since we had arrived.  Among it was a large tv.  I knew that they were getting rid of a broken TV and had bought another one, so I called up Rick (who was farther up the driveway) and told him about it.  He chatted with John who said that it was a different tv than we thought, that the bulb had been replaced (DLP tv), but something else was wrong so it was replaced.

Hmmm... we already have a 32" LCD that was given to Rick years ago by someone at work who said it was broken, he had gotten a replacement under warranty, and did we want it since Rick is good at stuff?  It works fine and has been our living room tv since.

Rick muscled the 50" DLP into the Rabbit while I watched his grouchy horse and we now have it in the basement Man Cave.  On Sunday, we fiddled with it.  It would turn on, but there would be no picture.  We could see the lamp was on, but nothing was happening.  After gutting it, rebuilding it, doing a lot of online research, almost ordering a new color wheel, and so on, Rick simply detached and reattached all of the connectors and told me to turn it on yet again.  Hey, static.  We hooked up one of the Man Cave computers, and hey, there's a 50" monitor.

Keen.

No comments: