Saturday, November 13, 2010

Serenity and dying demons

Rick and I rode today out on the trails, and I really got to try out my new saddle set up.

LOVE IT.

Peanut, like all horses I suppose, loves to suddenly lurch from a walk or stand-still into a canter on uphills.  This always unsettled me and sent me scrambling for the reins.  I decided to just let him be and you know what?  I lived.  It was fine.  I never even shifted in the saddle.  No worries.  Plus, I learned he usually stops after a few strides anyway.

At one point on a trail I urged him on faster and he fell straight into a canter, I stood up in the stirrups, and we flew.  I finally stopped worrying and felt the feeling of freedom that I'd heard so much about.

Going into the trails, we were riding with Cheyenne's leaser and closely following a lone rider with a mule.  Mules are Gene's natural enemy, by the way.  As soon as we emerged from the first woods (the Terror Woods) into the first field, all of the horses lost their marbles - except for the mule.  As I was collecting Peanut's, I realized that the mule rider was talking to me.  I had no idea... was too busy.  Still, I kept my cool and we lived.

Peanuts gaits were also gorgeous.  He threw one trot at me, but his gaits are so smooth in this new set-up.

Love the saddle.

When we got back, Peanut was a little sweaty under the front of his girth and a tiny bit on his chest and between his front legs, but for the most part the latter was dried.  Gene was pretty damn sweaty.  I rode Peanut harder than Rick rode Gene, so I wonder if Peanut was just so comfy that he didn't break a sweat?  It's not like he's in any better shape than Gene....

It was a very satisfying ride.  There were some challenges, but for the most part it went very well.  Every now and then I stopped Peanut to slip him cookies because he was being so good.