There have been a lot of comments about the length of Peanut's face. I once said to Hoppy that most people around here mistake him for a quarter horse, and her reply was that his face would be about 6 inches shorter. I've had various people at the barn comment about the size of his face as he puts it over my shoulder. I look at pictures of Gene and think, my, what a stubby little head.
His face is also very hard to fit for halters and bridles. His Bitless is a horse headstall and a cob noseband. His halter is horse size, opened up almost all the way at the cheek and closed down almost all the way at the nose.
So, for fun, I took out a tape measure.
Peanut's face - from point of poll to where his nose angles down at his nostrils - is 24.5"
Gene's face is 23"
I honestly expected there to be more of a difference, but Gene does have the taller, lankier thoroughbred body, which probably creates an optical illusion.
Fun fact: it's hard to take the measurement of a horse face when touching him at the poll is the cue to drop his head. I had to measure it with his nose at the ground.
No comments:
Post a Comment