Last night, as the sun was getting low in the sky, I had one of - if not the - best rides ever. It was an amazing experience and impossible to adequately put into words.
We moved together. He responded to light cues, and listened when I asked him not to rush. All-in-all, he was so well-behaved and so agreeable that I had to wonder if he was just happy to be out of the ring. "Go here? Sure. Go this speed? Of course. As long as we stay out of the ring I'll do anything!"
He is a fabulous trail horse now. We have found a level of give and take that makes me happy, and hopefully it makes him happy as well.
He is getting much stronger behind, and his stifle locks seem to be a distant memory. He didn't feel the need to run up hills, instead he was quite content to march up with purpose.
Riding is fun. For so long it was a chore, and now I enjoy it.
I could go on and on, and disgust myself with sugary sentiments, but insert here all warm, fuzzy feelings that one gets upon realizing that a relationship has gone to a new, previously impossible level. It only took 6.5 years, but everything finally seems to have come together.
No comments:
Post a Comment