Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Another horse owning side-effect

First, I'm writing this from my phone as my computer is tucked away in its hutch, and I really don't like how this interfaces with a phone. Methinks this will have to be short and sweet and probably look and read like crap.

Today I volunteered all day with Habitat for Humanity. I spent my day outside, mainly in the sun, working a cross saw and drills as I helped put together decks. It was warm and sunny, but I was fine. I didn't think it was bad at all. Most everyone else from work was dying, and I just kept chugging along. I even got a number of compliments from the HfH crew. Supposedly some players from the Eagles helped out there a couple of weeks ago, and after about half an hour they couldn't take it anymore.

When I got back into my car after being dropped off at work, I looked at the temp: 86 degrees, and it went up to 87 as I drove.

Really, it was nothing compared to a summer day at the barn. I always considered myself a wimp in the heat, but it seems that horses have actually toughened me up. Who knew?

3 comments:

Funder said...

LOL. I'd probably have fainted at 86 (and no doubt humid). Drink your electrolytes!

Post looks perfectly normal, btw. :)

Kate P said...

Perfectly readable post. I am totally envious they let you operate the heavy machinery--I miss doing that annually with my old corporate job. (Pretty much the only thing I miss.)

But yeah, I think both being conditioned to being out with the horses as well as being occupied with the task at hand helps you not notice the climate around you. Even though I was just shoveling dirt and moving rocks around the last time, I didn't even notice how time flew.

Sara said...

Funder-your old Mississippi self would have laughed at 86 and humid!

Kate - the time did fly! I don't think it flew so well for everyone else, but they didn't get to play with the big guns. Well, actually, they were afraid to....