It's been raining. Lots. So I haven't seen the Nutter in a week. :(
However, I have another story from the last time we went riding. :)
I set out with Mona after work last week. We were approaching the tunnel leading to the bigger section of the park when Peanut stopped right before a blind turn leading quickly downhill to the tunnel. He was paying rapt attention to the out-of-sight tunnel, and I could tell why: the sound of a bike was amplified and echoing through it. The view is wide open for a while heading to the tunnel, so I knew that it was heading towards us.
I started fretting a little, since the rider would swoosh suddenly into view after making the racket. Then I just relaxed, as Peanut felt relaxed, and just waited. As predicted, there was suddenly a rider who saw us and, I think, we scared him. Even Mona stood well, and Peanut, again, didn't bat a golden eyelash.
The rider stopped, dismounted, pulled his bike over and started apologizing profusely. I said that there was no reason to be sorry, that there was no way for him to know that we were there. I rode past, and he commented to Anne-Marie about how it's good that our horses don't mind bikes.
I wonder sometimes about the reactions that the bikers see when they come across horses. When I think of riding a bike (can never seem to decide on a bike over a horse, though), I think of riding in another great, rambling park that doesn't allow horses. I don't want to deal with them from a bike! I just wonder if the riders in Fair Hill are used to horses losing marbles as they go by, which explains this biker's reaction.
We later turned towards a new trail we explored on foot that is across from the parking lot in this stretch of park. Both horses got upset as we approached the lot, as there was a lot of activity from a clattering truck, to bikes being unloaded from the back of a truck, to people pulling in and out and just meandering around. They still listened, and we turned down the trail.
This trail is a lot nicer to walk than the difficult one that we explored and already rode twice. However, the nervousness from the lot never left Peanut. I could feel the tension through the saddle and in his strides. I had to encourage him to keep moving, and in several parts I could tell that he was scared and wanted to turn back. Each rustle from a squirrel was scary and each dash of a bird through the foliage was cause for alarm. In reality he pretty much kept walking, but he was letting me know that he was not happy. I just kept thinking the whole time how much he was trying. He really was.
At the third path back to an open field I let him take it, and he calmed down a lot. I told Anne about how I felt that he was on the edge of a melt-down, and she said that you would never have known by looking at us. We both seemed to be riding out quite normally.
I consider that a victory. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment