Tuesday, May 21, 2013

And the beat goes on for another year....

Gene has completed his antibiotics and will have his blood drawn Friday.  He ended up not being so cooperative with the antibiotics in the end and needed oral syringing, but there was no big drama.

He's gained at least 100 lbs since my freak-out and is looking quite good.  I think the feed agrees with him because he looks better than he did just on grass last summer.  Here's how he was looking over the weekend:

Getting a tail pull.  He loves them.
Junk has returned to that appaloosa trunk.
Gene's kibble.  Each bag is a meal (1.1 lbs) and he gets two a day.  They are quart bags.
Peanut, my little shnookums, turned 13 on Saturday!!!!  He got one of his favorites - real black licorice (ew ew ew) - and went for a stroll in the park.  He does not get sat upon on his bdays, but he still didn't seem so thrilled on the walk until I let the fatty enjoy some grass.  I really didn't mean to since his crest is starting to harden, you see, but he was just so pathetic and the grass was so long on his birthday.

I is 13!
Best birthday EVAH!
Now shoo, worthless biped.

The weekend before we went for our first solo ride in ages and he did well.  I can't remember the last time, if ever, we had a trail ride without a single spook, but we did that time.  It was nice.  He had one moment of whipping his head up to look at something, but that's it.  There were times when he was nervous but we worked through it and he was a good boy.

Oh, and little shnookums doesn't like the expensive shmancy supplement that I got him.  It's healthy, so he had to spit it out.  I'll try again.....

Non-horse related:

Years ago I toyed with the thought of getting into endurance with Peanut.  I don't think that either of us are cut out for it, so I've changed my focus a little.  Instead of having him travel distance, I am.  Seven weeks ago I started a nine-week Couch to 5K program, and I am currently up to 25 minutes of straight jogging (which seems to be about 2 miles or so... stupid GPS that poops out).  Before I lost weight, I could run maybe 10 steps.  Thus, this is a major accomplishment for me.  Honestly, I always thought it was something that I could never do, so I had to prove myself wrong.  I don't know if I'll actually run a 5K, but it will be nice to know that I can.

The only downside is my knees.  Ever since I lost weight I have had knee problems (that's a kick in the pants, isn't it?)  I first started noticing it related to high heels, but I now find it's almost daily.  However, the last time I ran I "ran" on my rebounder, and my knees are fine.  Alas, I have noticed loss of motion in one knee in the past couple of months, but they always were too floppy.  How many strikes can a hyper-exended joint take, I guess?  To give an idea of my loss of flexibility in the joint... well... I can no longer stick that foot behind my head.  So, dammit, I'm starting to be normal.

I am not renewing my lease at the shop.  I have no regrets and my sales are going well, but I can't devote the time.  Having to work the shop on top of my full-time job (along with trying to spend time with the horses, the husband, do I have something called friends anymore?) is incredibly difficult and I can't do it.  Besides, even though I always wanted to branch out, I find that I have to keep replacing stock at the shop so I am stuck in jewelry.  I really am being drawn towards painting right now, and I will be free to pursue it once my lease ends.  I am realizing that it is a good thing that I am not a professional artist as I have found nothing that keeps me occupied for long.  Instead, I start to feel trapped and want to try a new medium.  C'est la vie!

2 comments:

Kate P said...

Looking good, Gene! Love those appy spots.

Peanut, you don't look a day over eight. :)

(You still have friends!)

Funder said...

They both look great :)

I hear you on the unfairness of weight loss - when G loses weight, it makes his back hurt terribly as he gets used to it. When he gains weight, no back pain. WTF?

Grats on the c25k progress! I am gradually getting more into running too - not in solid blocks like you're doing, just running half a mile then getting back on the horse. But I've started jogging with the dog so hopefully I'll get some stamina.

Can't wait to see what you paint.