I headed to the barn after work on Wed to spend some time with the boys before the heavens opened on the East Coast for the rest of the week. On the way, I got a text telling me that one of the horses, a mare that has been there longer than we have, had been put down that morning.
When I got to the barn nothing seemed amiss. I went into the field and loved on my boys, then Peanut followed me to the gate. As their field connects to the field by the barn, I'll often open the gate and let my unhaltered horses through. This time? Peanut was not having it.
I don't know how long I stood there with the gate open, staring at Peanut who was staring at me like I'm an idiot. He didn't make a move to go out and wasn't even coming close to me. He was just standing there, looking at me.
Gene was at a bit of a distance because Peanut is too much of a bitch to let him close to me. I told him that, if he were to come through the gate, he could come with me on the hike I had planned. That old man really seems to enjoy hike in the park.
They stared at me for a while longer.
Eventually, Gene did a fake, ran by Peanut, and out of the gate. As soon as he crossed the threshold every single horse in the field, including those that were quite far away, spooked and ran in the other direction. This includes Peanut.
Gene had continued running to the barn and I struggled to get the wire up on the gate. I think it's a little short, yo.
When I got to Gene, he was a little up but ate a bite of the apple I had for Peanut. After chewing, he looked around, cantered off, and started careening around the field and up to the fence in certain areas. He eventually calmed down, got another bite of apple, and repeat.
At one point while I was watching him canter like a fool one of the barn workers (who absolutely adores Gene) drove up. She asked what was up because she had never seen Gene move like this. He actually looked beautiful and it would have been a nice video if I wasn't worried and trying not to get run over.
When he finally came back to me (and the apple was gone) I calmly walked back to the gate of his field and he followed me. It was obvious that he decided it was not a good idea to be where he was. I got back to the field, opened the gate, and a spotty blur streaked past me.
He jumped into a gallop and took off. I've seen that horse canter off when really inspired, but this was full-blown full-speed. He got to where Peanut was, about halfway back, slowed, bucked (unlike him), and cantered off.
I looked beside me and saw two deep trenches in the mud attesting to his launch.
So, it seemed like no horse wanted anything to do with leaving his field and going with someone to the barn. I don't know if it had to do with the front coming through (the sky was an odd grey, it was windy, and even the birds seemed to be flying strangely) or if they know what had happened that morning, most likely at the barn.
Saddle thoughts:
I've had this running around in my head lately. Not that I know what to do with it, but it's been running around.
The Fhoenix is basically different types of foam wrapped in leather. When I ride in it I can feel everything going on in Peanut - mainly I can feel any tension in his back. When I ride in other saddles that's gone.
How much are my issues are due to my perceiving Peanut is upset when in a "normal" saddle I wouldn't even notice? Is this working against me? I my saddle making me think that my horse isn't as solid on the trails as I think he is?
Hmmm....
Oh, and my latest in-progress. Recently Richard and I gorged on the Sumo coverage from the Autumn Tournament in Tokyo. That's right, we ordered the Japanese channel exclusively to watch a sport which we don't fully comprehend in a language we don't understand. Nevertheless, it's fun and we'd look forward to it every night.
So, this is where I am in a drawing of the Yokozuna Hakuho. However, the lack of likeness is really keeping me from finishing it. Have I mentioned that I really don't draw people well?

No comments:
Post a Comment