Monday, October 14, 2013

Still Smitten

This past weekend, a holiday weekend for banks (whoo!) has been horrid.

During the depths of Friday's night I woke up to realize something had gone horribly wrong in my shoulder... that shoulder (trapezius, to be accurate).  Felt like it had evolved into a painful ball of hell.

So I went back to sleep.

When I woke up for real, I was in agony and could barely move my head.  I ignored it, had breakfast, wrote my blog entry, and realized I was, to put it frankly, fucked.  I went back to bed and stayed there for the rest of the day, missing Richard's kyudo lesson and abusing On Demand while trying to distract myself from being miserable.  (Gotta say, Inglorious Basterds was a lot better than I expected.)

I got in touch with our massage therapist and got an appt for that night, and managed to actually shower.  My shoulder once seized up in the shower resulting in similar hilarity a couple of years ago, so the thought of getting in there was not high on my awesome list.  Plus, that was a long time of supporting my big head on my own.

At dinner (at the coffee shop down the street from the therapist), I had a beer and a glass of wine.  Now, I have no head for alcohol, so this was way excessive for me, but I was desperate for it to release my muscles.  It managed to do none of that, but also didn't mess me up as much as it should have.

The therapist gave me a thorough beating, and I literally staggered out of there.  While I was clear (I think) mentally, I had to hold on to Richard because I felt beyond drunk.  I was gone, daddy-o.  I got home and promptly passed out.

And woke up in hell again.

The therapist had told me that it would be best to miss the trim on Sunday, and waking up feeling just like I did on Saturday made that a definite.

During the day I discovered that I was able to raise up without pushing myself up.  Before, I would have to roll over (ow), get my arms under me, and push myself up so I could sit (ow).  But, midday on Sunday I could sit up without that!!!

Hey, it was a big deal at the time and really lifted my mood.

I was also able to support my big fat head without wanting to die.  That was new and novel and worthy of celebration as well.

So, why all the blathering?  What does that have to do with the title?

Because Richard took pictures of Peanut at the trim.  A very tousled, mucky Peanut as he hadn't been groomed in a week, but pics of my Nutterbear nonetheless.

Being a good boy.
Being a pretty boy.
When I saw the picture of Peanut looking at the camera tonight, I missed him terribly and I wondered when I can next venture to see him.  One yank from him on the lead would be disastrous.  Granted, he doesn't yank unless something goes very, very wrong... but still.

I also realized that, if I had randomly seen this picture of him from somewhere on the internet, I would want this horse.  Badly.  Dirt and all.  But, he is my horse, and that is so cosmically awesome that I can't even fathom it.

Yeah, I'm still smitten.

He's a pain in the ass and he costs me an arm and a leg, but he's my pain in the ass and financial stability is overrated.

Oh, and behind him in the trimming pic you can see the fence that he broke at the last trim, broke with his enormous golden ass.  Took out the top two rails and left only the bottom.  Visible is the bottom rail that I moved to the top and the half-rotten, broken board I found around the property that fit below it.  Sigh.

So, today still not feeling 100% (or even 80%), had to cancel my own archery lesson since I can't turn my head enough to sight down the arrow, but felt good enough to force myself out for some exercise.  I took a 7 mile hike around the largest freshwater lake in Delaware to make up for two days of sluggery.

Yeah so our lakes are small.  And our highest point is the 2nd lowest of the highest points of the states.  We're Delaware.  We don't feel the need to be showy.  Hmph.

Speaking of horses sporting the tousled, devil-may-care look, here's Mona from Wed during the Very Odd Night at the barn:


2 comments:

irish horse said...

Well, I hope you feel better, but your post made me laugh! Not the injury part, but the "he's a pain in the ass but he's my pain in the ass." is so true! My horse was a total ass this weekend, and afterward, when I was done being pissed off, I was still so in love with my damn pony. When they make those cute faces...Peanut certainly has it!

Sara said...

Thank you!

I swear they know they're cute, too, and use it to their advantage. Often.