Monday, February 2, 2015

Almost there - Spoonbill

My next painting may be a memorial one.  There was a tragedy at the barn yesterday.  My horses are fine, but a pretty bay arabian named Tap Dancer was lost.

More to come.  It's just heartbreaking.

In the meantime... I focused by finishing the Spoonbill.  Tomorrow I will varnish, so it's not completely done yet.

The wing was a big reason why I chose to do this.  I thought the fiddly tonal changes would be good for me... since I really don't know what the hell I'm doing.  Very slow going.






Done!
I am proudest of the transparent bits of feathers, of all things.  Like the ones below (the big one above the leg, and then the ones over the foot).


2 comments:

Kate P said...

Sorry to hear about the barn. Did I know Tap Dancer?

Spoonbill is looking good.

Sara said...

Thank you!

If you knew Tap, it would only be in passing in the boys' field. He was one of the bays in with them.