I still have to write about the trip to OH, but today Rick and I stopped by the shop that has my Lite Rider on consignment. The saddle wasn't there, it's out on trial. Whoot! I was told that people would often come in, stop, and look the saddle over because it is so odd.
What I found odd was the tandem western saddle that they had. If I had the room and a couple extra hundred, I would have bought it purely for the oddity of it.
The real reason is that Rick was looking for an english saddle to dissect, and he got one for $25. It's a Borelli saddle, and appears to be a close contact. He's a little disappointed because it seems to be foam flocked, but it's a start and he told them to call him if they get in some busted saddles that he can pull apart.
I got three books from their shelves:
F Baucher New Method of Horsemanship - no date, but the binding appears to be contemporary to Baucher . The only edition that I can find online is a translation from the 1990s that runs around $50, and I paid $1 for a very old edition that's in nice shape. This is translated from the 9th edition, which seems that it should fall somewhere around 1850-1860, I guess.
Elizabeth Karr The American Horsewoman - written 1884, this edition is 1890. $5
Francis Dwyer On Seats & Saddles, Bits & Bitting - written 1869, this edition 1977.
I've peeked at the Baucher and the Karr so far, and the part I read in Baucher goes on and on about bits. His view is that often bits are torture devices because the mouth is blamed when the horse does not do as asked because of a myriad of issues. One has to find the real cause, not just create more and more bits and blame a hard mouth. Interesting. Especially considering the existence of the baucher bit.
The Karr book is, of course, about riding sidesaddle exclusively. I think I'll have fun with this one, but will have to be careful because several of the pages have a tear that extends about a third up near the spine.
She isn't afraid to lecture:
"There is one accomplishment often neglected, or overlooked, even by the most skillful lady riders, and that is, expertness in holding the riding skirt easily and gracefully when not in the saddle." (emphasis the author's)
For shame! She then goes on to say how Parisian women do it beautifully and with grace, and we Americans would do well to emulate them.
I'm really going to have fun with this one. :)
Oh hey, Karr's whole book can be found here
No comments:
Post a Comment