Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I should start getting commission

First, I'm writing this from a hotel room in Ohio. We drove out to visit Funder and play with Dixie and saddles. My 4-Beat is going to stay here a while, and if it outstays its welcome then we can pick it up on the way to Michigan sometime.

Dixie is a darling, but she wasn't comfortable with our attention. I'm so used to hanging all over the Nutters that I approached her like I approach him, and she demanded to be treated like royalty and not a commoner like the Nuts. I really have to be more cautious with new horses, as Peanut doesn't act much like a horse and he's given me bad habits that can be less than appreciated by horses who aren't overgrown labradors.

Anyway, more on that in a later post. I should write about Friday.

I love my saddle. Have I mentioned that lately?

Friday night, Joan rode out on Molly, Anne on Cheyenne (in the Cashel), and me with Peanut. Knowing Joan, I made clear beforehand that I was not over my confidence issues and I didn't want her flying off and leaving me with a panicking horse. Anne wasn't comfortable in the Cashel on Chey (but is fine in it on Gene), so she said nothing more than a walk. Cool.

Peanut had impulsion. My normal slowpoke who got left behind was gone. Instead, we passed Joan and took the lead. He was actually walking so fast that he left the other horses behind. It was a bizarro Peanut.

Would a bizarro Peanut be buckskin?

At one time, coming into a field, I felt that I wanted to just take off up the hill. What? Me? Cool. Later, as we were deciding which path to take, Joan got in the lead. I decided to overtake her so I kicked it into a gait, and after I passed I realized that it was so smooth and easy to ride that I didn't want to stop. A couple of steps wouldn't hurt, right? It was a moment of joy, the likes of which I hadn't felt in the saddle in years and I couldn't help myself.

Well... that did it for Chey. After that, Anne had a hell of a time trying to control her, and she ended up passing us unable to slow down or stop. I had to keep holding Peanut back since he hates Chey and he kept tensing up and pinning when she got near.

Eventually, Anne was able to stop Chey, Joan got in front, and I took up the rear. Peanut kept wanting to go, I kept wanting to let him, and I had to keep holding him in.

Sometime this week Anne is so getting on Gene and we're so heading out for some fun on the trails.

I never felt insecure in the saddle, and his gaits were smooth as could be. The transitions were completely smooth as well, he just easily sped up and I could stay with him without a problem. When we got back to the barn I took off at a gait while Joan and Anne dismounted, and even though we were on grass and on a level surface, I could tell that he mainly gave me a running walk instead of a rack.

Later, Anne told me that, as I rode off, Joan said, "Do you think Sara realizes that she did what I usually do?" Ooops.

It's really been years since riding was fun. It became something I did because I had a horse, but now it's fun again. The saddle is really the best investment that I've made in riding other than the purchase of Peanut and his bridle, and for a couple of days I was still smiling from the afterglow.

One day I'll have to stop writing about the saddle, but every time I ride I simply can't get over the difference.

Since Jill and Funder both tried the saddle and really didn't like it, I'm realizing that it isn't the cure-all for everyone, but holy shit does it work for us. Considering how much it costs, maybe it's a good thing that others aren't digging it. Then they can't blame me for the bill. :)

On a non-horse-related note, I read a newly-purchased Auschwitz memoir on the way out to Ohio. I read a lot of Holocaust memoirs, starting after my Jewish father told me our family's story, but I noticed today that it has become something simply matter-of-fact. The emotions aren't being stirred anymore, instead I compare this memoir to others who touch on the same subjects and events from different perspectives. It's becoming almost academic and it's bothering me.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm definitely going to invest in having Leeandra come up and demo the saddle with Daniel to make sure it works for us. The last thing I want to do is spend 5 months board on a new saddle when the one we have is fine (I mean, I *think* it's fine... I hope we get the Fhoenix on him and realize that we were *not* fine!)

:-)