Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday night fun

Why Sara, how did you spend your Friday night? Do anything exciting?

Well, I spent the whole night getting intimate with a saddle.

The 4-Beat is cleaned and conditioned. It was the first time I took it apart, and now the odd stirrup configuration makes sense and I was able to correct the one that wasn't cooperating. They are now both pre-turned. I also sewed the velcro of one of the fuzzy leather covers back on, as well as reattaching the saddle strings that drove me mental to originally remove. I'm actually slightly astounded that I was able to find the little buggers.

Considering how much I neglected the saddle, I'm proud of how great it looks. Equips Saddle Food, recommended by Rick's old master saddler, really makes leather glow. It looks pretty damn new.

Oh, and packing peanuts get everywhere. I'd lift a flap and would find a family of peanuts peeking from the recesses of the saddle. And there are a lot of flaps with a lot of recesses. Boy are there a lot of flaps. English saddles just seem so simple in comparison.

Tomorrow the saddle and its matching saddle pad go to the shop for consignment.

I was dying to see my Nutter tonight, as I haven't seen him since Sunday, but I needed to get the saddle prepped. It's been an exhausting week spent training my counterparts who are going back tomorrow to open our LA site, and I'll be heading out there for more training later this month. I already miss the Nutterbear. Rick is taking a lesson at Legacy tomorrow, and I think I'll stay here and spend some time with the Nut-face.

No comments: