Friday, August 21, 2009

Gene thoughts

Gene, the old trail boss, the steady man, the horse who had been there and done that is getting spooky as of late. He's very nervous on trails if he leads, and he is suddenly absolutely terrified of balloons, when before he would pass them without so much as an ear flick.

Could it be his vision is going?

His hearing?

I think we'll need to get the vet out to give him a checkup.

In other news, it looks like I'm getting my eyes zapped on 9/11!

4 comments:

Funder said...

I've finally started catching up on my friends' blogs. You have to tell me how the Lasix goes. Graham has similarly terrible vision and he wants it too.

I hope it's nothing serious with Gene. :( Loved the Peanut vs. Deer pics.

Sara said...

I will definitely keep the blog updated in regards to my peepers. For reference I'm currently around -3.75 in each eye with astigmatisms.

We'll probably have to wait until October to have Gene looked at. :(

I personally can't wait to hear about your new stable, and what the boarding facilities are like out there.

The team that I've been working with from LA have been strongly hinting about job possibilities for me out there, but I hear that the boarding in that part of CA is atrocious. Oddly, that's my first concern.

Lisa said...

Yes, keep us posted on the peepers :-)

On Gene, could it be age related? I have a dog who never was afraid of T-storms until he hit 9 years old (he's a large breed, so that's up there for them... they usually live 9-11 years or so) Now, he trembles when T-storms roll through. My small animal vet suggested that as some senses diminish, others are heightened...

Ditto what I heard on SoCal boarding. little, if any, turn-out, little pipe stalls attached to little pipe paddocks at huge prices...

Hugs to all of you!!!

Sara said...

I'm hoping that it is just normal age-related stuff, instead of something going abnormally wrong. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Gene banged one of his rear cannons up pretty well, so it might warrant a vet visit. It's minimally swollen, with some ugly stuff going on externally, but he's not favoring it and doesn't object to you messing it any more than normal. If the vet is needed, though, might as well have his vision checked while she's there.

Oh, and it's a go. The peepers on 9/11 (pending the final eval on 9/9).