Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fabulous first day of spring

OK, so Peanut's recall isn't as fool-proof once the grass really starts to come in and he feels that he's given me enough attention for the day and deserves a little Peanut-time.

Friday was spring shots and Coggins, and I took the day off from work and helped out.  For the first time, we were able to have horses waiting for the dentist instead of the dentist waiting for horses to be fetched.  Another boarder and I were doing the fetching, and that meant going up and down the hilly, 1/4 mile driveway.  Yeow.

Peanut and I then went for a hike in Fair Hill to see how the ol place was doing, and it was in decent shape.  For the most part the trails are dry, but some areas have serious water erosion - but all have ways to go around.  Peanut was not thrilled that we were walking past our normal hiking route, which leads out into large grassy fields.  So, as soon as we neglected to take that turn he got pissy - kept turning in front of me and blocking our progress with his massive belly.  Silly.

But, on to yesterday.  Rick was felled with a migraine, so Anne-Marie and I headed out to take a ride.  My saddle is still not improved, but I did get a new saddlepad in that has room for paneling.  It's fleece and fluffy, so I decided to team it with the saddle and see how it goes in the meantime.

We tacked up, but as we did so Joan and a leaser returned from the trails.  After untacking, they were teaching Cheyenne to let her face be sprayed and were spraying down Secret, which caused all kinds of commotion where we mount.  I mounted up and waited for Anne, who was taking a while since she had pulled at least a cat's-worth of hair off of Gene.  Peanut had his half-cat pulled off yesterday.  Anne had to wait for a good time to mount, and in the meantime Peanut let it be known that he was not a patient pony.  He was pawing, which I ignored, and was all around fidgety.  Once Anne did mount up, Peanut was extra fidgety about going towards the trails.  Gene took his sweet time, but eventually pulled in front and Peanut immediately calmed down and followed.  As soon as we hit the trails and left the commotion we were good to go and assumed the lead.

It was a great ride.  My back was relaxed without thinking about it.  I pretty much let him decide the pace, but I kept him slow going up hills to better work on his butt.  When he did increase his speed, no worry.  When he slowed down, no worry.  When he had a spook or two, no worry.  It was great.

We once had to stop and wait after the easiest stream crossing, as Gene had stopped in the middle and was playing and splashing in the water.  He eventually came out, snorting water out of his nose.  :)

On the way back, we took a very wide trail through the woods.  I went first, gaiting the whole way.  Anne held Gene back, then let him go with a trot that she said he enjoyed tremendously.  We stopped at the field where we turned for home (there's a wet bit to get through and a sharp turn), then I let Peanut go again - even got into a little canter - and Gene trotted behind.  I really had to try hard to get Peanut to come back down once we entered the woods.  He seemed to like being let loose.

Peanut wasn't pokey at all during the ride, which was nice.  Gene was stiff but willing and happy (especially in the parts where he led).  When we got back, Peanut had his old saddle mark where the primary pressure was in the back :( but he wasn't sore when I ran my nails down his back.

They both got long grazes afterwards, and all-in-all it was a great way to start off Spring.  I got sunburned, too.  It was in the 70s!

5 comments:

Funder said...

Oh, that sounds lovely!

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

You said it, Funder! Sara, I have no life until after April 1st... that's the deadline for my Master's Capstone paper. Who but freaking Penn picks April Fool's day for such an important(to May graduates, anyway) deadline? I have to live vicariously through you and Peanut!

Sara said...

That's ok, Lisa. I live vicariously through Funder! :)

Lisa said...

Well, in that case, thank you, Funder!! :-)