The Fhoenix is, to say the least, a frustrating saddle. I still love the ride in it, but I am incredibly frustrated for several reasons.
I talked to Leeandra yesterday, and she recommended contacting the person that I bought the Phoenix from, and to send her pictures and stories about what exactly I'm unhappy with. She should be able to help me out with making it fit Peanut and I perfectly. And if not, Leeandra will give her a piece of her mind.
One thing that is annoying me more than anything, which is of course the bane of the treeless existence, is that the saddle likes to wander. Lisa, Leeandra thinks that it is you who found a nice saddle pad that doesn't let the saddle go anywhere and isn't one of those typical non-slip pads. Help?
I was also looking into Duett saddles too (I know Daniel has one :) ), even going so far as driving out 2 hours into MD to find the closest dealer for them. I picked Anne-Marie up along the way, which is how I ended up having conversations with Lee about the Fhoenix. Anywho, I got to see two that they had in stock, both hunter models, and found that their trees are not the typical A-shape. While they might not be full-out hoop trees, they definitely have a very rounded appearance which would probably be great for the Nutters.
Before I go throwing money at yet another saddle, I am going to contact the Fhoenix lass to try to get me and Peanut as happy with our saddle as possible. I think the direction we went with the Hoppy padding is promising, but I think more can be done. We still have some bridging under my legs and most of my weight is still hitting Peanut in the rear of the saddle, so maybe they have some thoughts.
Everyone tells me I worry too much. :P
5 comments:
I was wondering what kind of saddle pad you use. Used to ride my barefoot treeless with the recommended Skito pad and had pretty good luck. I would trail ride with a breast collar. I switched last year to a saddleright pad and have been extremely happy with the results. The Phoenix looks like a lovely saddle. Good luck.
I use a Fleeceworks fleece pad with memory foam inserts - another way to try to keep the saddle off of his spine.
It's funny, I was just looking at a Skito bareback pad for Rick. Does it keep the pad in place on the horse and the saddle in place on the pad?
As for a breast collar, I'm not sure it would help that the saddle sometimes goes diagonal on me, or else slips off slightly to one side. I'm not worried about forward/back slippage, oddly.
I've never heard of the Saddleright, I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
Hi Sara,
I don't know the brand name, but I bought them from a vendor who was at Dressage at Devon every year (and your timing stinks - I was just there last week!)
They're nothing fancy, just an oversize, cotton quilted saddle pad, with wither relief cut, and THEY DON'T BUDGE. I don't know what it is about them, I've got one in black and one in white. they weren't cheap, I think I paid about $45 each for them, but Leeandra's right, these suckers don't move, at least on Daniel they don't! :-)
I think it might be Euro Saddlery, but I'd have to check they tag next time I'm at the barn.
I almost forgot - love, love, LOVE my Duett saddle!!!!!!!!!! I can't speak highly enough about them!!!
Thanks Lisa! Please do find out the brand of saddle pad. :)
From what I saw the Duett looked nice and didn't seem expensive compared to other saddles. If I can't get the Fhoenix to work out, I will definitely look to Duetts next.
Post a Comment