That goo that I used on Peanut's scratches worked great... for his heels. They cleared up incredibly fast, but the scratches moved to the sides of his feet where it has festered. I treated, and now I have rings of scabs on two feet, a random shape of scabs on another foot, and a clean foot.
The goo is no longer doing anything.
I have wandered around the internet and found as many treatments for horses as there are horse owners.
Now, I have a complication. I have a great trail horse that I want to conquer trails with, but there are gravel roads and such that don't agree with his pastured toes. I think I am going to try Hoofwing boots, as they actually request a tracing and a mess of measurements before they tell you what will fit your horse. Peanut's feet are widest towards the heels, and simply do not fit well into any horse boot that I've tried. Unfortunately, the scratches both interfere with the wing measurements and the wings would go right over them. Can't have that.
After looking through the cures and wincing at what was recommended by some to put over open, cracked skin, I think I am going to try the following:
Betadine scrub
Rinse
Blow dry (no moisture is critical!)
Apply solution of equal parts Desitin, Neosporin, Hydrocortizone, and Athlete's Foot creams (I call this the Funk Cream)
Wait
Remove as many softened scabs as possible
Apply another layer for continued treatment
Repeat daily
If this works, then a smear of Desitin over the cleared up areas to repel moisture.
I have everything in my car (the Funk Cream is mixed up) except for the Betadine Scrub, and it looks like I have to go to Dover to get it as the drug store only carried the Betadine solution.
Well, here's hoping........
No comments:
Post a Comment