![]() |
| Right Front |
![]() |
| Left Front |
One tracing is around the bottom of the hoof, the second tracing shows the back edge of the heel bulbs in relation to the back of the hoof. What surprised me was how far back his hoof is in comparison to his heel bulbs.
I just stared at his feet, thinking I had to trace it wrong, but I redid and redid the left and kept coming up with the same thing and so I let it go. What's interesting, and something I mentioned to Kate (as they had just been trimmed) is that his heels look a lot more forward and longer than they actually are. It's an illusion.
Equally intriguing, I had to go back on Monday night to take a measurement I forgot: the height of the furthest back part of his heel bulb from the ground. The demo hoof in on the site was 2". Peanut is 3/4". I originally thought it was 1", but he has a large area that is almost straight up and down. The bottom most part was at the coronary which, it turns out, is only 3/4" off of the ground.
Color me surprised.
His frogs are also looking quite spectacular at the moment: fat and round. Yay.
One of Rick's co-workers, Stephanie, was at the barn that day for the trim. She and Gene have a thing developing and Rick couldn't be happier. She's had minimal exposure to Peanut (I'm selfish, what can I say), so when Kate was trimming the Nutters she got her first view of his feet. She immediately commented on the difference between the shapes of their feet - Peanut's never-been-shod vs Gene's shod-for-years. It would be interesting to take tracings of Gene just for comparison's sake.
As for the Scratches Skirmish, that will have to wait until this weekend. I simply do not have enough daylight after work to do a good job. The sun was already going down by the time I was driving away from Dover with my Betadine scrub.
In other news, I have lost over 30 lbs now. 31.5 as of this morning. I keep asking Peanut if he notices, but he never answers. Almost daily, however, someone at work stops me and comments on it. :)
At least 35 lbs to go......


2 comments:
I still can not figure out how you traced Peanut's feet. . . do you just say, "Hold still, please"? Poor scratched-up guy.
Hooray for 31.5 lost!
You just put a piece of wood and paper under a foot, and trace away! The little bugger was fascinated with the pencil and kept trying to nibble on it while I was trying to work.
Post a Comment