Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Renewing the membership and shopping for shoes

The Hoofwing boot ordering process has begun.  They are going to call me later today to discuss their findings after going over Nutter's measurements.  I took final wing measurements on Sunday, as I felt his scratches had gone down enough.  In fact, he really only has tiny patches on the three feet left.  :)

I had a couple of interesting rides this weekend.

On Sat, Anne-Marie and I went out.  It was a windy day, and at one point we heard a loud crack.  There was no accompanying crash like a tree fell, but it sure sounded like a tree breaking in half.  We were firmly in the woods at this point, on rather narrow trails, and neither horse wanted to stay in the woods much longer.  Peanut was definitely upset, but stayed relatively calm.  I could feel the tension through the saddle and he had a little more boogey in his step.

By the time we got to the first turn where we could head out into open areas, Peanut had calmed down.  After discussing our options (since Mona had already tried to take off in a field), we decided to stay in the woods but take the shortest trail back.  As we walked, the wind continued.  Branches were falling around us, and I actually watched two of them hit the ground at my side.  The horses (at least Peanut) were not pleased but better than before.  Luckily, we got out without incident.

On Sunday, Rick, Anne-Marie, and I headed out.  We weren't going to try for a long ride (between Rick's knee problems when he rides and Anne-Marie's current gimpiness, it needed to be short), and were going to take a loop of a trail mowed around the perimeter of a field.  The middle of the field is allowed to grow into brush and long... stuff....

Rick led, followed by me, followed by Anne.  At one point, I wasn't really looking ahead and I heard a big scuffle up front.  However, by the time that registered I was busy trying to stay on Peanut.  He had shot to the side and I was clinging to his neck and heaving myself back into the saddle.  When I righted myself, I looked ahead to find Gene heading to me, sans Rick.  Behind, Anne was fine on Mona.

I saw the lump of Rick in the long... stuff... at the side of the trail and heard him mutter something that I took to be "I'm hurt!"

I dismounted, grabbed Gene, and turned around and handed the reins of both horses to Anne-Marie who had also dismounted.  I went to Rick, but he was already getting up by then.

Turns out he had said, "get my horse!"  Like we would have let him wander off.  If it came to it, I probably would have shot off after Gene on Peanut (although, once she's more comfortable with speed then Mona would be a better match for Gene's gaits) and left Anne to tend to Rick.

Rick thought he had broken a rib, but said he was ok to walk.  He took Gene's reins, and we headed out.

I had to ask what had happened as I missed everything, and it turns out that we had flushed two deer from the long... stuff.  Instead of staying still and having us pass without being any wiser, they had to be drama queens which did not sit well with the ponies.

Saying that he was good to mount, we found a bike obstacle that would be a fabulous mounting block and all got back on.  We rode back and everyone was ok, although Rick is a little sore.

Gotta keep that Dirt Club membership current, right?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Sending good thoughts to Rick! The dirt club is not a fun club to be in. :-(

Sara said...

Thanks! I wouldn't mind letting my membership expire. I almost renewed it myself, but I really did claw my way back into that saddle.

Kate P said...

Dumb deer. Good job hanging on!