I've been sick for a week and a half, and dealing with sometimes debilitating pain in my neck/shoulder since last Tuesday. As a result, I missed seeing the Nutterbear the weekend before last, and only saw him last weekend because I missed the furry beastie so much.
I did get an interesting question from one of the other boarders whom I've only seen rarely. She was dropping some stuff off in the tack room and Peanut was doing his best to block the door. She looked at him and said that he's a big boy, is he part draft?
I was speechless for a second, then said that he's a Tennessee Walker. I'm used to thinking of him as a small horse, not even 16h (which for some reason is what I think of as "normal" height... don't know where that came from), and have seen him towered over at other barns. Joan once commented that he's a big boy too.
He's big boned, has a huge Walker head, and is a fatty. Maybe I still see the scrawny 4 y/old that I bought, not the tank that he grew into. Well, that and this barn is littered with wee Arabians.
I made myself ride yesterday, mainly because I missed him so much, and learned something very important: riding with a hurt lower back can make the pain disappear, but riding with a neck that's torqued out and won't release means that you will be in agony. I was a mess by the time I knew I had to dismount, to the point where Anne did a pity untacking of Peanut.
I can't wait to get back in the saddle. I did a very short solo ride during Mona's trim a few weeks back, and I felt like I found my buddy again. Well, except for his endless, epic requests to pee. Yesterday I was not up for much (although I think I may have wandered into the park if a father didn't have two kids in the stream that goes under the bridge in the road... that could have been pretty). The whole time I was thinking that I would not have been able to survive a spook, as I could not move with him and I could not react in time. Luckily, he took good care of me, because my horse is an awesome horse.
4 comments:
Cudos for Sir Peanut! He is an awesome honest horse. I am glad you got to get on him even for just a bit. Though it may not have helped your shoulder, I think it did help your inner self :)
Size is relative, isn't it? He might or might not be big, but he's definitely a whiz (in both senses of the word).
I hope you are starting to feel better!
Oh, I'm glad he was a good boy for you! Hope you get your poor neck sorted - is this still left over from the car wreck?
I've gotten so used to having the most enormous horse that I'm always really surprised when I see someone on a taller horse than 16 hand Dixie.
Thanks all! :)
Funder, it's the wrong side for the car wreck. This is the nice side, and it's gone bad, so very bad. It found some bad influence somewhere (or I just slept on it wrong).
And yay! Dixie is the proper height for a horse!
Post a Comment