Sunday, February 19, 2012

Horse jewelry!

I can't imagine that anyone who makes jewelry and also has horses hasn't thought about making jewelry with their horse's hair.  I wanted a little piece of Nutters that I can have with me wherever I go, so last Sunday I snipped off a lock of his tail, hid it from the cats who thought it the Greatest Toy Ever, and after a few starts and stops came up with this:


It's quite small (less than 1.5" long from top to longest hair), and is temporarily on a black cord.  I am planning to make a gold viking knit chain for it, and wear it short almost like a choker.

I made sure to a couple of Peanut's non-palomino-ish hairs - the black and chestnut - as you can see in the picture.  The stone is a lapis, the hair is wrapped in silver, and the lapis is attached with gold.  The hair would have been wrapped with gold if I had the appropriate wire, but c'est la vie.  There is no string, glue, or rubberbands in the finished product, as I had hoped.

I plan to make one of Gene with a leopard jasper, and one of Mona if Anne-Marie so desires.  Anne's will be a challenge as it will have to be metal-free as far as what would touch skin.  Funder, if you're interested, let me know!  If I can get these to work to my satisfaction then I may just start up a wee website and have these be the only custom pieces that I plan to make.

I'm happy with it, but will be far happier when I have the correct chain.  I have made an allowance for the final chain size, and the cord is so much smaller that it just flops sideways.  Grrrr.

7 comments:

Funder said...

Can you do a little pull, like a keychain? I'd love a zipper or keychain! I still have a lock of Champ's hair (sunbleached black).

Sara said...

I could put it on a little clip that could be clipped to whatever you'd like. However, both a keychain and a zipper pull would get a lot more action than I think the pendant is ready for.

Let me play around with some of my left over Peanut hair before I attempt anything with Champ's. If you like what you see, I can try with Champ.

Would you like a stone? If so, any thoughts on what type, or color, or shape or whatever?

Funder said...

Re: stones - you have far better taste than me in these matters. Depends on what looks good with the hair!

It's quite a bit of hair. Both pieces are fatter than my finger. The mane piece is about 6" long and the tail piece is longer than my forearm, maybe 14 or 16". I always meant to get them braided, but I think I'd rather have something made by a friend who "knew" him than a stranger. :)

If I got a short pull, I wouldn't put it on my keys and jam them in my pocket or something. It'd go on something that got light duty, or I'd stitch it to a horsey Christmas ornament as a tassel or something.

Sara said...

Give me a hint on stones - did he have a color of tack that you seemed to gravitate towards? All I can remember is you had to put safety orange on everything... but no memory of color aside from that. Or, a color you like? From what I have I could choose green, mottled green with red splatters (called dragon's blood jasper - love the name), blue, purple, black, clear, or I could make something out of gold or silver like the coils on the lapis earrings on my other blog. I could pick up yellows, oranges, etc if you would like. Or even a tiger eye for that bay look. I could combine small beads as well for different colors. Anything sound good?

The mane piece would be plenty, and most likely too much as the piece I used was about 1/4" around.

I was definitely thinking of Champ when I was cobbling Peanut's together, but didn't know if you had any of his hair. I really want to do him justice.

I'm going to brainstorm for a bit. I'll still do a mock-up of Peanut's hair before I even touch Champ's, and if you want I can send it to you to see if you like it in person before you send me his hair. I want it to be perfect.

Funder said...

I'm really loving the idea of stitching something to hang the tassel off of, actually - either a Christmas ornament or just a little thing to display on the wall. Let me poke around for a bit and see if I can find a design I like (probably an abstract - most horse stuff is heinous) and maybe you can pick stones based on those colors? Extremely unhelpful: I like blue and purple and tiger-eye and some greens and red and clear and silver and gold. But not black, cause his hair's black, I think they'd clash. And not pink, h8 pinku. LOL I'll get back to you on colors!

Sara said...

No kawaii pinku bento box for you!

No rush, take your time, find what you like. I'll still be here. :)

Kate P said...

Now that's a fashion use for horse hair that's new to me. Very pretty!