It's just been so hot and humid out that the horse time has been minimal. Same ol'. On Saturday, we arrived in the early afternoon to find a surprisingly nice, cool day. Well, until the sun came out and it became suddenly steamy and terrible, but I was already in the saddle by then.
We started out having to pass some green netting on the barn trash can that was going to lunge out and nibble on a palomino. I was determined that we were going to go over to it and that he would touch it with his nose, but the Nut had other ideas and was determined to head everywhere but. After a bit, all while I resisted the urge to dismount which would have made everything much easier, he touched the netting and found that it made a cookie appear. Once he realized that, he didn't give a damn about the netting again.
Out on trail, which we rode solo, Peanut was determined that there were lions hiding around every corner. We would go about three steps, stop, talk, urge, three steps, etc. When we neared a turn in the trail, he would stretch out his neck and peer around the corner to see if there were lions ahead. Strangely, the ride was lion free.
 |
| Lions. There be lions ahead. I'm telling ya, biped. |
 |
| Stop making clicking noises! The lions! Stupid biped. |
After a bit we came across a fallen log on one side of the trail, and a fallen tree presenting its dirt-laden roots on the other. He's a bark and dirt fiend and started chowing down. After that, no more lions and a nice ride. I kept it short as I was nervous about sudden showers and/or rising heat, but it was still lovely after the little nibbles.
 |
| Om nom nom bark |
 |
| Dirt across from bark? Peanut's lucky day! |
 |
| Om nom nom dirt |
After seeing the picture of him snarfing bark, tell me he isn't related to these guys. I've been reminded of them since I got the Nutters.
 |
| Peanut would think that gelflings are good for licking and perhaps the occasional cookie. Mmmm... gelfling cookies. They're prophetically delicious. |
And, just because, here's a bumblebee drone from Thursday that was barely clinging to life. Every now and then I would look and see it had rotated on the flower, yet I barely saw more than occasional abdomen expansions and contractions or an antenna wave while looking at it. Before I left (it was in the garden where we often nosh, so I was at a table beside it), it had turned to stare at me, looking like it would pounce and tear off my face. I guess it didn't like the clicky box repeatedly shoved in its face.
1 comment:
I think Peanut secretly has Netflix and was watching "The Wizard of Oz" before going out. Of course, he only watches as far as the "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" work-up and stops because he's too scared. He needs to know the truth about lions in the woods! :)
Post a Comment