We went to Assateague Island - I have never been there or Chincoteague before, but figured this was the weekend to hit one of them! Supposedly the summer is when to really see the horses out and about, but we still ran into a number of wild ponies, some so close that they were only a few feet away. I never saw wild horses before - that I can remember, anyway.
![]() |
| This little (not so little) foal was pissed and threw a tantrum. Mama wasn't letting her nurse like she wanted. |
Of course there were birds too. And the ocean. And the bay. And woods. And marsh. And dunes that basically turn into a desert. It's quite a place.
And closer to home, we had a silly squirrel in our bird feeders (we don't mind them, we never see them otherwise).
And an unusual visitor, a Carolina Wren.
On Saturday, Kate visited my not-so-wild ponies and rode a horse for reals for the first time. Despite everything against her (my treeless dressage saddle, stirrups too long, Peanut not really being a beginner horse, etc) she did well! Afterwards, I plopped on and took him for a spin around the ring. I'm glad to see these pictures to see the complete lack of concern in Peanut's face in every shot. That makes me happy.
















3 comments:
Oh, the big baby is so cute. I imagine his Mom is very tired of him by now! And that squirrel is very determined, must be yummy stuff in there.
And Peanut looks great. How interesting to see someone else ride your horse. Seems like he was good and rose to the occasion.
Thank you! But that's actually me on Peanut. ;)
I just like to know that I don't bother him.
And that mother was ignoring the living daylights out of the filly, until she tried to nurse a bit too much, that is.
Yeah, those photos wouldn't show me with as much poise on Peanut. But I rode a horse for reals! Even if the horse was following Sara around like a besotted puppy dog. . .
Wild ponies--a bit different from your pony pals, don't you think?
Post a Comment