Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Next in-progress drawing

I've begun what will hopefully be my final drawing for the show.  As the counterpart for the tundra swans, with multiple large, light birds drawn small, I am thinking of a solo, dark bird drawn large.

I was planning to draw in another red winged blackbird smaller, underneath, and to the right, but I am instead thinking that just the one bird, with dried grass behind and in front, will be quite adequate and a nice composition.

My trip to Assateague was with the hope that I could get a picture of a horse that would be a counterpart to the swans - as in both wild animals photographed found at wildlife preserves on the Delmarva.  Alas, while the filly was a cutie, nothing spoke to me like this wee little red winged blackbird we photographed in Bombay Hook a couple of weeks ago.

The full-sized composition.  There will be more reeds, including one in front of the bird.  You can see the empty space I left for the second bird in the lower right.
Detail of the bird.  Still very rough and open to aggressive erasing and redrawing.  That lower beak is not friendly (and it doesn't help that he has a large piece of grass right in front of part of his face in the photo).
This was going to be the other bird... which is actually the same bird.

No comments: