I've had Peanut for almost 10 years. I've learned a lot in this time, but Peanut has also quietly suffered through a lot of my ignorant mistakes with his usual doofy good spirits. When he did complain proper, I often misunderstood and he would endure.
Today was a trim (his feet are growing like weeds), and directly afterward I tacked him up, puttered around the farm, and took a short jaunt on the trails hoping to head back before the last toe was rasped and I missed the exit of our trimmer.
We definitely had conversations during our ride, but not our drawn out battles. Mainly we were talking about the fact that his trim - which took a lot off since he had grown so incredibly fast - had left him on the ouchy side on hard or gravelly surfaces. So, give and take was the order of the day from both sides. I respected the fact that his feet had just changed a lot, and he respected the fact that sometimes he just had to walk on gravel.
His gaits are suddenly the kind of gaits that I had only read about with Tennessee Walkers - the ones that they are famous for. I was absolutely gliding, again and again, and it was glorious. At one point I accidentally had him gait on a slight downhill, which put his weight on his front end, and at only that time did I feel the old, bumpy, uncertain gaits come out.
And it's also very nice to know that the years of lessons hadn't left me as a rank beginner. I honestly had always thought so.
Every time I encountered a good run of uphill or level path, we were gaiting or cantering. I just couldn't stop!
The saddle and the lessons to kick my confidence back up have given me the horse I have always dreamed of. He is a complete silly dork on the ground, and under saddle he is starting to be my partner instead of my adversary.
I keep waiting for everything to go to hell, because this is too good. How long can this last?
And why am I such a damn pessimist?
2 comments:
Oh yeah, a "this too shall pass" ride. I get a Perfect Ride like, four or five times a year now, and it's always followed by a horrible ride. It's just the way of things. Makes you appreciate the moment of perfection more, I guess. Congrats on a great one - and you'll get more :)
No! Don't jinx me! I haven't had that horrible ride yet!
*hides*
Post a Comment