Richard and I spent Christmas on Assateague Island in Maryland, hanging with the wild horses. For being feral, they are quite tame and I had to keep backing up away from them when they started walking in my direction. You are not allowed within 10 feet of them, and at the visitor centers (even in the bathroom) they have pictures of horses biting people or of the resulting damage. Yum.
Of course, I kept thinking that I could stare at my own horse and not have to drive 2 hours to see him, plus I could even get within 10 feet of him. But... there's just something about the wild ones.
These pictures are of 2 separate herds we found at the side of the roads, totaling about 12 horses. Oh, and anything that looks like snow is actually sand. It was in the 50s.
 |
| I was surprised by the photo to find that this horse has at least one blue eye! |
 |
| After pulling his head out of the window of a car. The gal in the passenger seat was petting his nose and I waited for the bite. Alas. |
 |
| The second herd had a number of horses that were digging in the sand to get to something yummy. How they don't sand colic is beyond me. |
While wandering around on the beach, I spotted a bird bobbing on the ocean that I couldn't identify. As I told Richard, "that's no seagull!" and thus I began taking a ton of pics for later identification.
 |
| It's a loon! |
 |
| A brave little loon. |
No comments:
Post a Comment