Thursday, January 1, 2015

New painting - Mocha

My former boss, who was my boss from 2008-2014, had a chocolate lab that she absolutely adored.  The lab, Mocha, was put down last year after a year-long bout with bad health.

Before the dog died, when my boss was on vacation, I stole the photo of her dog (as a puppy) from her desk, scanned it, and sent it to myself.  I had planned to do a painting of her, and when she passed I especially wanted to.

The canvas board sat in pencil state for at least a year.  I was too intimidated to touch it.  On Tuesday, I visited my old department and chatted with my old boss.  She told me that she had finally moved into the house that was being built, and I thought it was time for me to get it done and to her as a housewarming present.

I finished it all New Years Eve, except for a few touches that I thought of overnight.  I can't believe it went that fast!  I was still intimidated as all hell, but I just did it.

I forgot to take a pic in the fully pencil state, and these pics suck (and I haven't bothered to correct colors), but tough.

After the background was put in.  In the photo the pup was on the grass... sorry, that's not happening.

Shadow added to the background

Colors mostly blocked in - in artificial light now

Where I left it for the night, considering it finished but later changing my mind.

Done for real.  I fiddled with some areas I thought were too flat.  Natural light, but the color is really somewhere between these last two pics.
I did some reading and I need to get some varnish to finish this up.  I didn't varnish any of my old ones... oops.  I hope it can be dry and ready to go for tomorrow when I would like to surprise her with it.

Edit:

Second coat of varnish drying.  It really does amazing things for the colors and is simple to apply; silly me for not using it before.
Indoor light again.

No comments: