Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Odds n Ends

I think that I decided that my shoulder will hurt with any impact, no matter whether it has anything to do with my shoulder. It seems that I hurt some part of myself, it starts migrating, and eventually settles into my shoulder. I think there's a shanty town in my rotator cuff where refugee pain hides out in unsanitary conditions. Sigh.

Dawn trimmed on Sunday, and the boys did well. She also didn't fire us, I think the fact that my arm was useless helped the cause. She commented on how Gene's fronts are changing, discussed frog pads with Rick, and discussed saddles and Peanut's back with me. I told her about the spook, and she said that was the kind that can take out the best of us.

Afterwards, we went to visit my father. He sat slumped in a wheel chair, I sat slumped in a chair occassionally rubbing the swelling in my shoulder. We made quite the pair.

Well... here's another decision.

I think that I found a new riding instructor. I just simply need someone local. I found an instructor on the Centered Riding website who has competed in/trained horses for Prix St George Dressage. Grand. She's also a certified Centered Riding instructor, natually. I hope this will be exactly what Rick and I need.

Hopefully a Tennessee Walker and bitless riding won't be too alien to her.

I've already emailed her and confirmed that she will travel to Fair Hill. She already goes trail riding there. :)

I can offer free parking. *subversive snigger*

I've been reading more of my American Horsewoman book (the one published in 1890). There were several things that I found interesting. Back then, they waited until 4 to start horses under saddle. From what I've read about growth plates, that's a grand idea. According to the author, about 25 years before changes started in the horse world where the horse was taken into consideration in training - namely, they were not beaten into submission with whips and spurs. Instead, the training was gentle. Don't blame the horse when it acts up - if your tack is not fitted impeccably to your horse and yourself then the horse is probably reacting out of pain. Use as gentle of a bit as possible, and the best saddle is a custom made saddle so that it fits both you and the horse. Or, the horse could be reacting to your shoddy riding.

She goes on to relate the story of a certain trainer who had a horse who refused to move under saddle. Instead of beating the horse or spurring it, he just sat there. He had his pipe brought, and he sat and smoked. He had his dinner brought, and he ate atop the horse. After several hours, the horse finally moved. After a couple of steps, he stopped the horse, sat for another hour, then walked the horse around a little and dismounted. The horse didn't have the problem again.

Gee... if the horse decides to do ______, then you make it really do _________. Where have I heard that before? Hmmm.

Oh, and be sure to put on a short corset when you ride. And if you're terribly thin, pad your chest and butt so that you cut a better figure atop the horse. If you're heavier, a walk will be your signature gait because then you will appear as regal as a queen.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You'd love Jill - she has people riding bareback for years... YEARS! I haven't had a lesson with her yet, but I've gotten plenty of advice!

Sara said...

Dawn had a lesson with Jill, said that she's wonderful. The way she talks it sounds like your barn is paradise.

The one I found is named Denise. She can travel to our barn, which I need. :)