Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rain delay, memory lane

No horses today, thanks to the endless rain. The boys need to be wormed, and Gene is about a week late for his Adequan, too. Argh.

But, this is weird... in my email today I had a facebook invite (ick) from the guy who sold me Peanut. Did he have this email address? I can't remember when I created it, but I guess that he must have had it. It's not like a very distinctive name like his would be randomly generated, plus it included a picture of a guy who looks a hell of a lot like him.

Weird....

He used to call up and check on us every now and then in the beginning, to make sure that everything was going well. I guess he keeps the contact info of his customers. I had a good experience, got a very nice horse matched up with me, and would definitely recommend him to anyone who was looking for a gaited horse (palomino gaited horse, as that's his specialty).

I was just taken by surprise, especially as we spent today driving past some of our old haunts, including driving by the road he lives on (you can see his pastures from the road we were on). We were hoping that at some point the rain would let up enough for us to head to the barn, but it didn't cooperate. Coinkidinky.

We drove by his place after we had headed south, below the canal, to see the first barn we boarded at and the rescue where I used to volunteer before I owned a horse. The farm is pretty much unchanged, except that the fences are in disrepair. They were kept almost immaculate while we were there. Also, there were all of two horses that we could see, in the big field that Peanut and Gene had to themselves at one point. I used to think that this field was the biggest thing that they had been in, but now that I look at it again, I can see that it is probably even smaller than their current field. Well, that's a nice revelation.

I couldn't tell if one of the two horses that we could see, both bays, was the horse of the old barn manager. He was a non-descript bay... there are a lot of non-descript bays in this great big world.

The most shocking thing about the farm was the name on the front gate. It was the same. We had moved because it was put on the market at the end of January, '06. Leeandra picked up our boys in late Feb, '06, just 2 days after we officially bought Gene. We hadn't seen the place since, but to see the exact same farm name? Wow. I know that several boarders left because of it being put up for sale, too.

One new addition, however, was the "Private Property: No Trespassing" sign out front. Wow.

We went on to see the rescue, which we knew was no longer being used by that particular rescue for years. I had no idea of what may have become of it, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is now an equine sanctuary. The 30 acre field where I spent so many afternoons with horses that summer is now completely feral and looks like a hay field in need of a good mow. In fact, the fields that I could see from the road were like that. Still, that's ok. There is at least one huge field that can't be seen from the road, which is a better place to keep horses in relationship to the house/facilities anyway. :)

No comments: