Peanut's rear leg was worse than ever today. I meant to trim, but I could barely even get his feet picked out. He would not stop resting that leg except for when I picked the other rear. When I picked both fore, he kept that one cocked.
When asking him to walk out, the first several steps were pained and halting.
I poked and prodded his joints, cannon, all parts of his leg actually and felt for heat on his foot. I was looking for any reaction, any at all, and got none. His sole has some odd, uneven concavity, but it wasn't severe and might result from him resting it all the damn time for all I know.
As I would continue to walk him, his gait would improve. I got Joan out, and we discussed things. It seemed that the more he moved the better he did, so I was hoping that he had just been standing in one place for a while and bound his joints up. Maybe keeping him moving was all the cure that he needed. After all, I've been told for years that what he needs is hills, hills, and more hills.
I had already discussed with Joan the possibility of moving him to the large, very hilly field in order to benefit his rear legs, and it was decided that it would be done when we were both there and the ground was in better condition. It wasn't too bad today (for once), so we thought to turn him out there to get that leg moving. In my mind, I kept thinking that this was either the best thing for him or the worst.
We turned him out, and the horses were relatively easy on him. They did get him to a canter a couple of times, but it wasn't bad. After a while I went in, to walk with him around the perimeter of the field, and to see him move.
Well, it was worse. He'd take some good steps, but then he'd take some three-legged ones. I called Joan back and told her that I'd like to move him back to his old field and not move him until I have the vet out again. So, my plan is to call the vet on Monday and have him looked at ASAP. I need to know what is going on back there.
Being my trusting little boy, Peanut ate a bute right out of my hand and I led him back to his field.
One of the other boarders was at that field, his appy being in there too, and he told me that he could see Peanut was off in the rear as the horses were chasing him around. He also told me that he had been there the day before and Peanut was perfectly fine, but the area by the gate - which had been muddy - had frozen into a craggy mess and all of the horses were having issues navigating it or else were avoiding it. Unfortunately, their water is in the midst of it, so they couldn't completely stay away. His thought is that a bad step on that terrain worsened it.
I am very anxious to hear what the vet has to say. I have said before that I don't mind at all if Peanut ends up unridable. That really makes no difference to me at all at this point. I actually went there today with all intentions for riding for the first time since September, but it's not important. What is important is being able to be with the big goober. He's a great hiking buddy....
2 comments:
I'm so sorry your boy is having problems. When Red was lame a year or so ago, I was just frantic. Actually, it was an animal communicator, Linda Wahlund of Creature Speak, that was most helpful AFTER we spent about $900.00 on vet bills. She saved me wasting hundreds of dollars more - which I would have been happy to pay IF it made a difference. I know it might sound strange to some, but I was feeling desperate and thought I'd give it a try. Glad I did.
Thank you. Actually, I've tried a lot of stuff and now I'm turning to the vet. I've had a lot of disappointing experiences with vets and my gaited guy in the past, so I've tried a couple other things first. But, I think it's vet time. It's time to rule some possibilities out.
Post a Comment