Saturday, December 26, 2009

Pictures, snow, Dawn

Pictures!

Last Saturday it snowed, and snowed, and snowed.  On Sunday, we finally ventured out to see the boys.





Peanut was walking just fine, and the swelling was gone from his rear leg.  There was a lot of ugliness around that foot, so I couldn't tell if anything popped or not.  I did a trim and a soak, but we ended up in a fight over the soak and I had to take a time out so that I didn't get violent.  : (  My emotions were running high over various things at the barn (Rick was supposed to be shown how to work it and wasn't, and the geldings came flying in from the field for dinner without warning right when I was putting the boot on in one of the stalls), and the fact that Peanut was spooked into misbehaving didn't help things.  Rick ended up talking to and petting Peanut while I stood off at a distance, getting myself under control.

His coronary bands were pink - I don't know if they were raw from the snow or just cold.  He didn't seem to mind, of course, and in fact preferred to walk through the drifts of snow instead of walking on the driveway.  That ex-Georgian horse loves snow. :)

Anywho, on to today!

So, this Saturday it decided to rain, and rain, and rain.  The snow is almost all gone, which is nice, but it was still a miserable day.  The boys had a trim scheduled today, so we huddled into the dry area near the stalls in the barn to get out of the rain.

Peanut's front foot is still healing nicely, but I wish that we managed to get a shot before he put his foot back down on the dirt floor after the trim.  :(





Dawn also wanted some pictures of her trimming for the hoof jack company, so of course I have to put some up here.  And yes, Peanut is a soggy little sod.



Below shows how difficult it is sometimes to trim Peanut.  He's a nosy little guy.  But, yes, it's nice to be able to trim at liberty, even if you do get frisked, used as a scratching post, and licked.



This happened while Dawn was trimming Gene.  The horses took it well, especially considering how close the barn is to the road and this happened right outside the barn.



Lastly, I tried to get pictures of Gene's eye.  I'll have to take them in bright light, as dark, dismal days are not optimal for seeing oddities in an iris.  When full size, however, you can barely make out the balls hanging down into the center top of the pupil - this is the good eye, btw.  I think that they are also more apparent in bright light because they seem to be hanging straight down here, but when the pupil is closed up, it seems to rest on top of the lower part of the iris and really stick out.



1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sara, Daniel's like that when I trim his fronts! Yesterday, I had my hair in a braid, and a pair of 180's on my ears. That silly horse of mine kept tossing around my braid, and after he pulled the 180's off me THREE TIMES, I just left them off and let my ears stay cold...