Saturday, January 18, 2014

The continuing blanket chronicles

OMG two posts in one day?

Yep.

When I was at the barn on the very cold day when Peanut got blanketed, I ventured to Gene and slipped my hand under his blanket at the chest.  I was checking to see if he was warm under there.  Alas, he was still cool.

It is going to be frigid again this upcoming week and Gene is not getting any younger, and while his weight isn't bad I'd like to feel more over his ribs and spine.

So, he now has a heavier blankie.

Model, you spotty bastard!


There, I modeled, now give me a cookie you worthless biped.
So, it looks huge, doesn't it?  Far too long?  That's the fun of fitting Gene!  Fit to his tail-head, and his but hangs out (like his current 80"), fit to his butt (this is an 81" Rambo) and it's drooping off the top (as you see here).

The problem is that Gene's tail attaches really high.  Like so:


So while his blankie looks droopy like this:


Underneath you can see that there really isn't any extra room around his posterior, especially as the next size down would take away 3" from each side:


Can you tell how much I love blanketing?  This doesn't even begin to touch on the fun of keeping your horse at the right temperature throughout the varied weather!

At least this blanket has a separate liner.  He has the heavy in there (and is not wearing a blanket at all right now.  It will be below freezing tonight but not arctic).  We can buy lighter liners and even use the shell alone as a sheet.  It is also the best brand of blankets, so we shouldn't have to worry about durability or quality.

Bleh.  Blankets.

2 comments:

Kate P said...

That is one swanky blankie.

He demanded only ONE cookie after modeling!?

Sara said...

It IS a swanky blankie, and I must say that, when we had it laid out open on the floor of the store, it looked so cozy inside that you'd be tempted to take it camping.

And... that one cookie was merely a single offering in a string of sacrifices to the great appaloosa god. He didn't like the interruption in his continuous cookie supply.