Monday, January 6, 2014

Worry causing ulcers is a myth, right?

Here's what Gene looks like until Wednesday morning:

I was freezing my arse off, it was getting dark, so no one gave a fig about posing.
We did decide to leave the neck wrap on him.  He is also in Eagles colors through no intention of our own (and in fact we were a little grumpy when we realized this as we are not fans of football).  Our barn manager "bleeds green," so maybe she'll actually be extra happy to see it.  Gene, for his part, didn't care one bit.  He'll often show his displeasure at certain goings-on which concern him, but all he wanted was another cookie.

He's the only horse in a neck wrap.  It wouldn't be on him if there was any chance of precipitation, but there's not.  So, he's gone from one of the three naked horses at the barn to the most blanketed one.

However, as the wind roars outside, all I can think about is my pudgy palomino.

Tomorrow after work I'm going to go to the barn to check up on the lads.  I will have tape measure in hand to measure Peanut if necessary for a blanket for tomorrow night.  It won't be nearly as windy as tonight and not as harsh, but there's nothing I can do right now for him.  Richard keeps assuring me that he will be ok, but I was dying out there tonight in the arctic wind when the temperature was still in the low 30s.

How I wish I could check up on him!!!  Oh, the fun of being a boarder......

Today was my 11th wedding anniversary, and aside from sneaking in the Pompeii exhibit at the Franklin Institute, we spent it driving to the north-of-Philly Dover Saddlery to pick up the hard-to-find neck wrap (our local store had them put it on hold for us - it was even back-ordered in the warehouse) and then rushing to the barn to put it on him before losing light but after most of the heat went out of the day.  Instead of the lovely dinner that I was planning, we picked up pizza and stuffed ourselves silly sitting on the sofa and trying to warm up.  Ooooh.  So memorable.

And there goes another powerful gust outside.

At least we both had the day off to take care of the old man.

No comments: