A lot has gone on, but before I forget I must report that Peanut just cannot wear boots. He's had a pair of Boas, Easy Boots, Hoofwings, tried Gloves, and at our last trim we tried Glove Wides.
Round, uncontracted feet + his way of twisting his feet when he walks = he will spin boots and there's nothing I can do about it.
We tried the Wides. Spin.
Thinking he might be better back in the regular Gloves (and knowing the issue we had before where it wore a layer off the back of his hooves in one small ride - no spin, tho), she tried a well-fitting pair on him. Spin.
Although, there is additional news on this front...
Our trimmer has noted that his feet are changing, plus I have noticed that he lately doesn't give a damn any more about the gravel on the trails. Before, always, he would do his best to walk alongside or, if not allowed, significantly shorten his stride on gravel. Trimmer Kate is finding that his chronic flares are reducing and his soles are improving.
Well, all I can think is that several months ago I started him on a fat-horse supplement to help him deal with sugars. Sugar issues mess with hoof quality. His hoof quality is improving several months after starting him on the supplement....
....hmmmm.
Am I actually doing something right for once?
I did notice that last weekend, one week post-trim, his feet looked like they were overdue for another trim and had flared out a bit, and his sole was chalky. No laminitic rings to speak of, and no lameness. Damnedest thing. Still, no complaints riding on gravel.
No comments:
Post a Comment