Monday, January 5, 2009

Holding steady

I'm still sick, which is how things go for me these days. Ever since I got married and hit with pneumonia and bronchitis, I get horrible chest congestion whenever I get sick and end up with a horrible, hacking cough. I finally settled on a new doctor (no more three hour waits and throwing antibiotics at everything), and I go tomorrow. It's big for me to actually see a doctor, but I had a shitty night full of waking up and hacking up a lung or two.

As such, my horse exposure has been limited. The cold air does a number on me, and I can see the wind whipping around outside. The trails are hard now, the boys were just trimmed on Saturday, so I should take Peanut out for a spin... but that requires energy.

Since Mona moved to the new barn almost 2 hours away, Anne has taken an interest in a mare that was dumped on Joan by a former boarder. Her name is Cheyenne, and is a 10 y/old registered appy. She's a little shorter than Peanut, has some trust issues, and is supposedly a little odd under saddle. We worked with her a little yesterday. I wasn't feeling up to even handling Peanut, so I just perched on our mounting block and watched Anne and Chey for the most part.

On the walk to the barn, I noticed that she toes in on the front. Her hooves are in, well, not terrible shape but not good shape either. Her fronts have heels on the contracted side despite never wearing shoes, and there are corners on the inside quarters. Is her toeing in related to her feet, I wonder? Her knees look straight, the problem seems to be below. She is also short in the rear, falling short of landing in her front footprints.

While grooming, she had a fearful reaction to being curried on her back near her kidneys. We worked on that, first with a dressage whip lightly run over her, then light hands, then a soft grooming brush. She quickly didn't care. Is it pain or memory of pain? She hasn't been ridden in ages, I know that much.

Picking up her feet, I saw that the fronts definitely left a lot to be desired. All four are overgrown, but the fronts especially were long with very deep grooves. I bet Dawn would buzz those down a bit to start lowering them to the proper distance from the coffin bone. Well, I'd prefer a long heel with deep grooves to a long heel with shallow ones! At least her coffin bone is still up in the hoof capsule instead of descended down into it. The frogs are also very narrow, and one foot is quite asymmetrical. The laminae is very stretched all around, as well. Poor girl. The hinds are beautiful, minus slightly stretched laminae. Dawn would have those feet in shape in no time. They're nowhere near as bad as Gene's were.

Speaking of Gene, his injured foot is now gorgeous (from the sole, anyway). The top still looks like hell and always will with the deformities to the hoof, but the solar aspect has come back beautifully. His fronts are noticably decontracting as well. About a week ago I looked at him and was amazed that his plumber's butts are gone. There is now daylight between his front heel bulbs.

Anyway, Anne plans on having Chey looked at by Dawn and Hoppy, to see what they think of her feet, body, and teeth, and then if all goes well have a real vet check. Most likely she could get the horse for free if it comes to it, but first she'd need to know that she'd have a riding horse that could be used for many, many years to come. I don't think it would be an issue once we got her legs worked out.

She's a pretty little mare, and it would be great to have Anne around with her own horse!

My new camera arrived. I'll have to take pics when I'm not busy dying.

One note on Peanut - after the trim, while Dawn and I were chatting, I let Peanut wander free as I dug cash out of the inside pocket of my coat. When he seemed to be wandering away, I called to him, told him to come, and he did. Awesome. I played with him a little as Dawn watched. I would tell him to stand, walk a bit away from him, tell him to come and then whoa. He did all beautifully, especially with the sudden stop as soon as I told him to ho. My horse is an awesome horse. :) He was so sensitive during it that all I had to do was wiggle a finger at his chest and he'd back up, too.

3 comments:

Funder said...

Oooh, sorry to hear you're (still?) sick. That sucks, I know.

It sounds like Chey would be greatly improved by a good trim. And maybe some chiro work, maybe her back is out of whack and that's shortening her stride and making her touchy about grooming?

Peanut has such good manners :)

Sara said...

Haha! Peanut has no manners unless he feels like it. Sometimes he's an embarrassment, but it's all my fault.

We definitely plan to rule out all pain before going any further with Cheyenne. The poor girl, it sucked to just watch her walk.

And yes, STILL sick. The same one from before Christmas. Ho ho ho.

Sara said...

Oh, and yes, when Hoppy's out to look her over she will also get a visit from Hoppy's magic hands. I am very curious to see what she'd find.