Sunday, January 18, 2009

Photo test

This is a post to test image uploads, so it's a visual log of the day of sorts.

Today was Gene's Adequan day. This is Gene begging for treats while Rick tries to prep the needle. The fanny pack is brimming with cookies.

Peanut happily munched hay around the corner.

Dude, he's totally a user. To keep him from shaking his head and neck, we scratch him around the injection site as a distraction.

I then decided to document some of their oddities.

Gene's wonky foot with the uneven heel bulbs from his injury.

Peanut's lower canine tooth that had our dentist remark that she'd never seen a canine so close to the incisors before. Not in her patients, not in her training, not in the skulls she studied. Peanut was not happy to have this picture taken.

This is the foot that had the perfect stone mold from yesterday. Today, there was another stone in it and the mold had shrunk to its size. Weird. I guess that his feet are super-hard, yet still malleable. Neat. It's at the upper right quarter.

There are no pictures of us freaking out over Dusty, the old, very sick app who they fully expected to die on Thursday night. Old is relative as he is the same age as Gene. Anyway, he's in the small paddock attached to the barn, behind Peanut, and I look over to see him flat on the ground. He's still breathing, but it's very halting and jerky in nature. Hoping that he's just sleeping, I go in to see if I can wake him up. Eventually, he comes around and goes into that position where they're still on the ground but not flat out. I tug on his halter, trying to get him to stand up as his breathing is very labored, and after a while he gets to his feet. His nostrils were flared to the point where there was maybe an inch between them on the front of his nose, and his breaths in were labored and noisy, and his breaths out were quick huffs. I tried calling Anne-Marie since she had been helping with his medication and knew the quirks of his breathing, but I couldn't get through. Rick was calling Joan, and also couldn't get through. Wanting to see him move, I tried to get him to walk but failed. At that point, I asked Rick to see what he could do while I took his place watching the horses.

Dusty brightened up after a while, started following Rick, and started eating some hay. In the meantime, Anne called me back and confirmed that the breathing sounded normal for him, but the super flared nostrils were not. Hopefully he just took a nap and ended up putting too much weight on his scarred lungs, but that still isn't good. I'm worried about that horse.

After that fun, I tacked up Peanut and took a leisurely ride around the farm. He kept trying to pull the reins from me so that he could graze, and was getting pretty pissy about not being allowed to.

We put them back, and it started to snow (despite the fact that it was a balmy 40 degrees). Here's Gene sleeping in the snow.

We had the car pulled right up to the pasture, so Peanut gave me sad eyes once I got in to leave. This is taken through the car window.

2 comments:

Funder said...

Hey, pictures!

Is Gene really short or is Rick really tall? Also Peanut is a very handsome fellow :D

Sara said...

Rick is 6'1", and Gene is something around 16 hands. He looks unusually tiny next to Rick in that picture, I agree. You saw the pic of Peanut and me, and Gene is taller than Peanut (I'm 5'2", Peanut is around 15.1). I can't even see over Gene's withers or butt.

Thanks :) Peanut is pretty like a princess!